Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Preserving feathers

Wiets Banned User

Default Preserving feathers

Since very little can exists without oxygen, I will be preserving my feathers in plastic bags under high vacuum. This vacuum in addition with liberal use of Borax should be sufficient to preserve feathers for a very long time.

What are your thoughts on the best manner to presere feathers?
    Last edited by Wiets; 26-06-07 at 09:34 AM.

I spray mine with DOOM!! .. "Museum Bugs" have destroyed LOTS of my fly tying material, as well as various hunting trophies/skins,etc.

A few seconds in a microwave ... after sealing ... also works ... kills any eggs/ lavae etc that may be on the feathers
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Jasper, us old men must stick together! I use moth balls (OK, OK! ) for mine and find over the years they work a treat. Does the DOOM smell affect the fishiness of flies once they're on the hook? I must say I try not to overdo the quantity of moth balls and soak the tied flies in water if the feathers-fur is a bit napthaleney-smelling. But better to miss a fish or two thru ponginess of tied flies rather than have bggr-all materials left to tie with in the first place!

i also use moth balls, and they've worked so far but then i don't have the volumes of feathers we talking about here
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Jasper, us old men must stick together! I use moth balls (OK, OK! ) for mine and find over the years they work a treat. Does the DOOM smell affect the fishiness of flies once they're on the hook? I must say I try not to overdo the quantity of moth balls and soak the tied flies in water if the feathers-fur is a bit napthaleney-smelling. But better to miss a fish or two thru ponginess of tied flies rather than have bggr-all materials left to tie with in the first place!
    Chris, I also use moth balls. Normally chuck one or 2 into the packets with the materials themselves, and then have also dumped a whole packetful into the drawers of my desk where I keep my materials.

The interesting thing is that I recently bought a new packet of mothballs from my local Spar, and they don't have that overpowering smell that I remember your typical mothball having. They came in a green and clear packaging bag.

you don't think Moth Balls will atract lady moths?

... nope .. haven't found any less fish attraction using Doom... doubt if it is any worse or better than moth balls
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Chris, I also use moth balls. Normally chuck one or 2 into the packets with the materials themselves, and then have also dumped a whole packetful into the drawers of my desk where I keep my materials.

The interesting thing is that I recently bought a new packet of mothballs from my local Spar, and they don't have that overpowering smell that I remember your typical mothball having. They came in a green and clear packaging bag.

Shaun - Snap! Exactly the ones and type of quantities I use - they're cheap and as you say don't have that totally overpowering smell of the old ones that could kill seagulls at forty paces...as/when the moth balls 'melt' and disappear I simply add a couple more into the airtight ziplocks

and you guys have definitely caught fish on your mothball scented materials?
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    I have VERY definitely caught fish on my Doom scented material ... lots

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Apparently, but Alzheimer's prevents me from remembering the last occasion!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1