Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51

Thread: Preserving feathers

  1. #1
    Wiets Banned User

    Default Preserving feathers

    Since very little can exists without oxygen, I will be preserving my feathers in plastic bags under high vacuum. This vacuum in addition with liberal use of Borax should be sufficient to preserve feathers for a very long time.

    What are your thoughts on the best manner to presere feathers?
    Last edited by Wiets; 26-06-07 at 09:34 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Claremont, Cape Town
    Posts
    4,251

    Default

    I spray mine with DOOM!! .. "Museum Bugs" have destroyed LOTS of my fly tying material, as well as various hunting trophies/skins,etc.

    A few seconds in a microwave ... after sealing ... also works ... kills any eggs/ lavae etc that may be on the feathers
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Vandia Grove, Gauteng
    Posts
    4,051

    Default

    Jasper, us old men must stick together! I use moth balls (OK, OK! ) for mine and find over the years they work a treat. Does the DOOM smell affect the fishiness of flies once they're on the hook? I must say I try not to overdo the quantity of moth balls and soak the tied flies in water if the feathers-fur is a bit napthaleney-smelling. But better to miss a fish or two thru ponginess of tied flies rather than have bggr-all materials left to tie with in the first place!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    5,126

    Default

    i also use moth balls, and they've worked so far but then i don't have the volumes of feathers we talking about here
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

    my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Durban
    Posts
    2,685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Jasper, us old men must stick together! I use moth balls (OK, OK! ) for mine and find over the years they work a treat. Does the DOOM smell affect the fishiness of flies once they're on the hook? I must say I try not to overdo the quantity of moth balls and soak the tied flies in water if the feathers-fur is a bit napthaleney-smelling. But better to miss a fish or two thru ponginess of tied flies rather than have bggr-all materials left to tie with in the first place!
    Chris, I also use moth balls. Normally chuck one or 2 into the packets with the materials themselves, and then have also dumped a whole packetful into the drawers of my desk where I keep my materials.

    The interesting thing is that I recently bought a new packet of mothballs from my local Spar, and they don't have that overpowering smell that I remember your typical mothball having. They came in a green and clear packaging bag.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Claremont, Cape Town
    Posts
    4,251

    Default

    you don't think Moth Balls will atract lady moths?

    ... nope .. haven't found any less fish attraction using Doom... doubt if it is any worse or better than moth balls
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Vandia Grove, Gauteng
    Posts
    4,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Chris, I also use moth balls. Normally chuck one or 2 into the packets with the materials themselves, and then have also dumped a whole packetful into the drawers of my desk where I keep my materials.

    The interesting thing is that I recently bought a new packet of mothballs from my local Spar, and they don't have that overpowering smell that I remember your typical mothball having. They came in a green and clear packaging bag.

    Shaun - Snap! Exactly the ones and type of quantities I use - they're cheap and as you say don't have that totally overpowering smell of the old ones that could kill seagulls at forty paces...as/when the moth balls 'melt' and disappear I simply add a couple more into the airtight ziplocks

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dullstroom, Mpumalanga
    Posts
    8,534

    Default

    and you guys have definitely caught fish on your mothball scented materials?
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Claremont, Cape Town
    Posts
    4,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    and you guys have definitely caught fish on your mothball scented materials?
    I have VERY definitely caught fish on my Doom scented material ... lots
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Vandia Grove, Gauteng
    Posts
    4,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    and you guys have definitely caught fish on your mothball scented materials?
    Apparently, but Alzheimer's prevents me from remembering the last occasion!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •