Thread: Horse Hair

Wiets Banned User

Default Horse Hair

Does anybody use horse hair in fly tying? Here are 2 x 1 Kg rolls of 240 mm white horse mane hair just received. I will divide this into smaller quantities and then dye the hair to match the hackle feathers.

Last edited by Wiets; 26-06-07 at 04:25 PM.

hav,nt used it but it looks very intereseting. i have used the long fibres from a springbok skin that was given to me. the fibres are a bit soft but i've used them for clousers and decievers. the softer fibres tend to wrap a bit, but i've had good success on bass flies i've tied.
    cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

I've tied old Izaak Walton type braided leaders with horse hair when I used to do a bit of horse riding back in the UK. Without being rude, stallion tail hair is better than the mare's which is weaker from the acidity of 'passing water' - a genuine, if somewhat horrible, fact. Horse hair also often used to be used on prototype 'buzzers' as segmentation by the first English stillwater flyfishers in the late 50's/early 60's. I'm sure I've a few old recipes at home like the 'Footballer' series for which horse hair in various hues could be used as an alternative to the usual stripped peacock herl etc. If you've a spare few strands I'd love some, I don't have any in my collection these days!

P.S. I see yours is the mane not the tail. The tail (being longer) was used to construct leaders, but I guess the mane would be much much better for tying - I've never used the mane so if you've a few strands spare I'll happily send you a coupla bucks (money not animals) - or something unusual from my materials collection, with a stamped self-addressed envelope?

Cheers, Chris

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    P.S. I see yours is the mane not the tail. The tail (being longer) was used to construct leaders, but I guess the mane would be much much better for tying - I've never used the mane so if you've a few strands spare I'll happily send you a coupla bucks (money not animals) - or something unusual from my materials collection, with a stamped self-addressed envelope?

Cheers, Chris
    Hi Chris

I not quite ready to open the bundles as I await dyeing materials. When I do open, I will try and remember that you want some strands - no charge.

Thanks Wiets, appreciated, and I'll send you some out-of-the-ordinary materials in return - Cheers!

I have seen horse mane used for nymph and dry fly tails before. Usually only use 2 strands. It could also replace the quill in a quill bodied dry fly. Blacks, browns and tans would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Elliott View Post
    I have seen horse mane used for nymph and dry fly tails before. Usually only use 2 strands. It could also replace the quill in a quill bodied dry fly. Blacks, browns and tans would be good.
    Hi Kevin, yes exactly in the old buzzers and similar, they were used as cheaper and tougher substitutes to stripped quill, two different colours to give the segmented effect

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.