Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breede river long long weekend

I know of a guy that targets Galjoen on orange wooly buggers.
    He had good success.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Interseting never knew they have been caught on fly before.
    not that im going to be targeting now but has anyone ever caught a bellman on fly before?
    Know they feed quite close on crustaceans so im sure its possible.

Sean Mills got bellman on fly at the Pavillion at night in the Strand.

The secret is sinking line DI7 and very short leaders for the Galjoen.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Taylor View Post

Wil101 knows Breede very well. Take his advice.
    Thanks for the confidence but I won't say very well ... Have had some luck on bait and artificials but the fly-only trips have been very hard work with bleak results. And there have been many! The gallie on fly thing is a mystery... who will spill the beans?

Quote Originally Posted by will101 View Post
    Thanks for the confidence but I won't say very well ... Have had some luck on bait and artificials but the fly-only trips have been very hard work with bleak results. And there have been many! The gallie on fly thing is a mystery... who will spill the beans?
    The very first gallie on fly, that I know off, is a interesting story.
    This was about 18 years ago.
    It was a young boy, he was about 14 or 15 on Struis baai harbour wall.
    He had a Stealth fly rod, brand new, and hardly knew anything about fly fishing, although he was very experieced with artlure,bass and rock and surf.
    On the lawn, he worked out the basics of casting and with the ignorance of a newby and the enthusiasm of youth, he went to Struisbaai harbour wall.
    All the hardcore manne where standing there, casting old redbait, fresh red bait, white mussel, wonder worm etc.
    Here comes this youngster with a #6 rod and in between them that have been standing there for a long time some probably hours, and one of those days where they hardly had a take and nothing caught, he puts on an orange woolybugger.
    With the typical style of a newby, far to many false casts etc, the fly goes out.
    The old toppies, old timers and hard core galjoen hunters gives him the normal lip and tells him "We will eat what you catch alive etc", "Jy moet ingooi en nie die visse weg jaag nie" "hoe moet die vis daardie ding in die lug byt" ens ens
    The next moment the rod goes solid and he is in. A couple of minutes later the galjoen is on the harbour wall and the youngster is the bees knees.
    All the old timers, hard core galjoen hunters etc as quiet as mouse.
    When ever I meet up with this young boy, who is now a man, we still chuckle about this.
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    The very first gallie on fly, that I know off, is a interesting story.
    This was about 18 years ago.
    It was a young boy, he was about 14 or 15 on Struis baai harbour wall.
    He had a Stealth fly rod, brand new, and hardly knew anything about fly fishing, although he was very experieced with artlure,bass and rock and surf.
    On the lawn, he worked out the basics of casting and with the ignorance of a newby and the enthusiasm of youth, he went to Struisbaai harbour wall.
    All the hardcore manne where standing there, casting old redbait, fresh red bait, white mussel, wonder worm etc.
    Here comes this youngster with a #6 rod and in between them that have been standing there for a long time some probably hours, and one of those days where they hardly had a take and nothing caught, he puts on an orange woolybugger.
    With the typical style of a newby, far to many false casts etc, the fly goes out.
    The old toppies, old timers and hard core galjoen hunters gives him the normal lip and tells him "We will eat what you catch alive etc", "Jy moet ingooi en nie die visse weg jaag nie" "hoe moet die vis daardie ding in die lug byt" ens ens
    The next moment the rod goes solid and he is in. A couple of minutes later the galjoen is on the harbour wall and the youngster is the bees knees.
    All the old timers, hard core galjoen hunters etc as quiet as mouse.
    When ever I meet up with this young boy, who is now a man, we still chuckle about this.
    Haha
    I can just picture the scenario in my head.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
    So managed a few hours every day and did some exploring.
    River didn't have much activity with even the bait fishermen struggling.
    Only went for grunter and was pleasantly surprised that I got about 8 follows/strikes but only managed to hook up with one which came off a second later. Still a grunter virgin, think the tally is about 30-0 now. Using stinger hooks but cant seem to hook the buggers.

Still enjoyed just being out and fishing a bit. What a beautiful river will definably be back in summer.

Great story Korrie
    Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Scullery

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12