Thread: Tropical fly lines?

Default Tropical fly lines?

Hi all,

I'm hoping to do some saltwater fly fishing this summer somewhere in KZN. Just wondering if you need to use 'tropical' style fly lines during the summer in that area? We'll probably be there Feb or March...

As a visiting Englishman I have 'cold saltwater' lines that I use for our (much smaller!?) saltwater species but I'm worried they will cast like a bowl of spaghetti in the warmer water?

Hopefully we will also do some yellow and tiger fishing so I'll bring my 6/8/10 wt setups along. I just don't know what lines if any I'll have to buy!

Any advice would be much appreciated...

PS. Where would you recommend a virgin SA SWFF to go??

Cheers
    Dan

Hi Dan

Yes, you will need those tropical lines. The water is pretty warm up in KZN.

The best person to speak to about saltwater fly fishing in KZN is Sudesh Pursad. You will find him on Linkdin or you can google Bamba Flyfishing Adventures. Great guy and he knows his stuff....

Enjoy the trip!!!

Cheers
    MC

Good to know, thanks MC! Better get saving for some new lines then!

I will get in contact with sudesh and hopefully catch some big fish!

Cheers
    Dan

Coldwater lines only become really impossible to fish in the tropics if you are fishing off the hot deck of a boat. In full tropical sun most boat decks become too hot to stand on with bare feet. So fly line stripped onto the deck quickly becomes limp and sticky - doesn't shoot well.

Normal tropical air and water temps if you are wading are far less problematic - I've never found a cold water line to become totally unusable when just wading in the tropics - certainly not optimal, but still quite useable, and quite okay for sight fishing flats species at short range, especially if you've been stripping the running line into the water.

If you're fishing off rock platforms and want distance then the extra stiffness of a tropical line will be an advantage.

If you do purchase tropical lines, it's still worth taking your cold water lines along as a backup in case your brand new tropical line gets shredded on a reef or propped on the boat
    The highest form of existence is play.

Hi WE, I think it'll be unlikely I'll be doing much fishing off a boat. Accept maybe some tiger fishing at jozini dam.

I think I will buy some tropical lines, or maybe just intermediates for the 8 and 10wts. I have airflo cold saltwater lines and I really like the elegy they cast so I'll probably aim for a similar taper in their tropical range.

Can't wait to get out there!

Dan