Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Long rods, short rods, crisp rods, slow rods etc and your style of fishing.

Default Long rods, short rods, crisp rods, slow rods etc and your style of fishing.

Long rods vs Shorter and short rods
    I am starting this thread as I had very long discussions with a number of fly fishers and new fly fishers about the length of rods, their actions, the task for each and your style of fishing.
    Please add your opinion, experiences and preferences in this thread.
    Hopefully after a couple of pages, we will have a very informative thread with lots of useful info.
    My love for the long rods are well documented on Flytalk.
    It suits my style of fishing or the way that I like to fish most of the time.
    But if you look at the shorter rods and the Italian casting style, there is a huge place for shorter rods, as the Italian casting style is not possible with long rods https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-Wgs6KftR0
    If you are fishing in bushy streams or lots of overhang trees most of the time, shorter rods are definitely advantages, as it is more "cumbersome" with a long rod, but not impossible.

A couple of points that are normally raised or mentioned
    Action of long rod vs short rod
    Soft long rod or fast long rod
    Reach of long rod vs short rod
    Feel of the rod i.e. "heavy, cumbersome" swing weights etc.
    The "crispness" of the rods
    Protection of tippets
    Loading of the rod
    Applications Dry fly vs nymphing, which one to go for?
    Can a long rod used for dry fly or can a short rod be used for nymphing?
    What about in between lenghts?

These are a couple of the points that comes up in discussions.
    Add some more if you want and lets get a healthy discussion going.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Lets start by saying, there is no right or wrong length rod.
    You fish with what ever length that gives you joy and pleasure to fish.
    I have seen guys on the Cape Streams fish a 6" rod and enjoy his way of fishing probably more than I did my way with a 10" rod.
    (or it looks that way, when you see him on the river. )
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

you can fish nymphs Jiri Klima Cz nymph style with a 8" rod and 1,7m leader
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP25WBCwl70
    or Pascal Cognard with a 10" rod and dry fly
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53zu5kO01_s
    Korrie Broos

I have no specific favourite rod in general, but prefer certain rods for certain applications. Glass for dry flies cannot be beat, unless you throw some grass in the equation.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I like "crisp" rods... the sound the rod makes when you stand on it , or close it in the car door... like a packet of simba skyfies when you jump on it....
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    I have no specific favourite rod in general, but prefer certain rods for certain applications. Glass for dry flies cannot be beat, unless you throw some grass in the equation.
    Mario
    How does glass perform with fast flowing pocket waters, fishing dries?
    I have to admit, the last time I cast a glass rod, was years ago, and my skills levels, experience and knowledge where far from where it is now.
    The same applies to bamboo, I cast bamboo a couple of times on grass and do not know how it will feature in fast flowing pocket water.
    I find the very slow nature of bamboo not very conducive to my style of fishing.
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Mario
    How does glass perform with fast flowing pocket waters, fishing dries?
    I have to admit, the last time I cast a glass rod, was years ago, and my skills levels, experience and knowledge where far from where it is now.
    The same applies to bamboo, I cast bamboo a couple of times on grass and do not know how it will feature in fast flowing pocket water.
    I find the very slow nature of bamboo not very conducive to my style of fishing.
    Good point you make there Korrie. I don't think glass (or bamboo for that matter) would be the best tool for fast flowing pocket water, but they can still do the job well enough not to have to NOT fish them in those types of water. For pocket water a longer rod is generally better, and given that most glass and bamboo rods stop at around 8' (most being shorter) they are a bit limited. They'll do the job Korrie, but there are better tools for very fast pocket water which requires a change in technique and tackle to fish them better yes.

You mention "very slow". You really need to try out modern glass and bamboo rods. Some of the rods that are produced today cannot be compared to rods a couple of years back. Improvements in materials, glues, resins and tapers make a huge difference in performance and feel.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Fir LM I like a dik, stywe stok something that can cast in wind, heavy flies and finally when you hook into something big you know it can handle it! Simple really...Stealth Bomber,etc
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 21-07-16 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafter Fisher Adventures View Post
    Fir LM I like a dik, stywe stok something that can cast in wind, heavy flies and finally when you hook into something big you know it can handle it! Simple really...Stealth Bomber,etc
    Gerrit
    have a look at the outfits of the first tarpon caught on fly.
    Some available on youtube.
    Old fibreglass rods and no drag.
    The rods where so soft
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Rafter Fisher Adventures View Post
    Gerrit
    To cast a dik stywe stok with big heavy flies in strong wind, you also need to know how to cast properly.
    Not to many people have such skills
    Korrie Broos

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast