Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Breede River Estuary Management Plan

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    294

    Default Breede River Estuary Management Plan


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,367

    Default

    Here's what Conrad Botes has to say about this...... Please take a few minutes to send in a response!!!!!



    All anglers concerned with the future of the Breede river system, and especially the Breede river estuary, should pay attention to a notice posted in the Government Gazette.
    Anton Bredell, Minister for Local Government, Environmental Affairs and Development Planning in the Western Cape, have given notice of the submition of the Breede River Estuarine Management Plan (EMP) to the National Minister of Environmental Affairs for final approval. You can read the proposal here:

    https://www.westerncape.gov.za/…/Bre...%20June…

    It is a lengthy document, and I suggest you take a look at it; it proposes among other things, a thorough plan for restoration and rehabilitation.

    But for me, the most important proposal is to establish the Breede river estuary as a catch and release zone for dusky kob. Concerned individuals are invited to submit to the Minister their comments or inputs.

    I implore every angler that cares about the future of the Breede River to submit a a letter to the minister supporting the management system and in particular to call for the catch and release of dusky kob in the Breede River. I am also asking you to please call for the daily catch limit of 5 spotted grunter per person per day, to be reduced to 2 spotted grunter per person per day.

    This is your chance to make a difference. You can submit your letter to both the following email addresses:

    coastal.enquiries@westerncape.gov.za
    zain.jumat@westerncape.gov.za

    If you don't have time for a long letter, please just copy and paste the following paragraph and send it to the email addresses above:

    I strongly support the proposal to establish the Breede River Estuary as a catch and release zone for dusky kob, argyrosomus japonicus.

    Thanks for your time

    Regards
    Conrad

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    294

    Default

    These are some more specific items I have added to my personal list. I expected to be flamed to death and strangely nothing has happened yet


    * Banning of bait collection (as at De Mond)
    * Banning of live baiting for cob (specifically targeting large cob with live bait - a lot of the large fish do not survive, either for real or this is used as an excuse for taking the fish, OR the fish get taken by shark while fighting or after release)
    * 1 fish per person bag limit per day (regardless of species)
    * Slot size limits for all species (cob 60-80cm, grunter 50-60cm, Leervis 70-80cm, steenbras 60-70cm)
    * banning of 2 stroke outboards, alternatively, a 500% increase in licence fee for two stroke outboards vs 4 strokes.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,367

    Default

    I agree with you but I think this aspect needs baby steps if it's going to succeed. The older Witsand generation feel that the whole village will "die" economically if there is too aggressive an interference with the catch restrictions. The ban on night fishing has already had a hugely positive effect on the system and I think most anglers now support that ban. If bait anglers are however restricted too much they will have no option but to group together to oppose these amendments and if that happens they could very well succeed.....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    JHB
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by will101 View Post
    * banning of 2 stroke outboards, alternatively, a 500% increase in licence fee for two stroke outboards vs 4 strokes.
    What is your reason for this?
    Many fishermen have relatively old 2-stroke engines and cannot afford a new 4-stroke. 4-stroke engines are also a lot heavier for the same power, which creates difficulties if you are carrying a 15hp engine (49kg vs 35kg).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Circus View Post
    What is your reason for this?
    Many fishermen have relatively old 2-stroke engines and cannot afford a new 4-stroke. 4-stroke engines are also a lot heavier for the same power, which creates difficulties if you are carrying a 15hp engine (49kg vs 35kg).
    2 strokes have already been banned in some parts of the world. Have you ever flushed your motors and noticed how much oil comes straight out the exhaust? The two stroke oil is added for lubrication only and does not burn fully in the combustion process. what is left over gets spewed out together with the exhaust gas. Straight into the water. I have 2 strokes on two of my own boats, and I know 4 strokes are expensive but the environmental impact of a 2 stroke motor is more severe than you might think. It affects the smallest critters the most, and has a knock-on effect up the food chain. The heavy metal in the grunter you eat, which ate the prawn which ate the piece of petrochemical you put in the water...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by will101 View Post
    2 strokes have already been banned in some parts of the world. Have you ever flushed your motors and noticed how much oil comes straight out the exhaust? The two stroke oil is added for lubrication only and does not burn fully in the combustion process. what is left over gets spewed out together with the exhaust gas. Straight into the water. I have 2 strokes on two of my own boats, and I know 4 strokes are expensive but the environmental impact of a 2 stroke motor is more severe than you might think. It affects the smallest critters the most, and has a knock-on effect up the food chain. The heavy metal in the grunter you eat, which ate the prawn which ate the piece of petrochemical you put in the water...
    I concur. The environmental impact of 2 strokes is substantial, especially on an estuary.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Perhaps a gradual phasing out of 2 strokes? Say, licence fees double in year one, double again every 2 years and in 10 years no more 2 strokes allowed? Orsomething like it.

    As to severely restricting bag limits, I know some bait fisherman that feel exactly the same about catch and release as flyfishermen, especially those doing it as a sport. I think there will be resistance, but also some support from that quarter. The biggest resistance will be from the older locals, the "I've been doing this for 25 years and who are you to tell me what to do anyway" crowd.
    Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Scullery

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •