Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eyelash Yarn

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    My daughter bought the stuff she gave me at Fiona's Fashions, 340, Oak Ave, Randburg. Tel 011 886 8545. The people there are a pretty miserable bunch, but there's a tremendous range of potential flytying stuff there including Eyelash Yarn. Wiets would fritter away his life savings there in one afternoon...
    Thanks Chris - guess where I will be this Saturday morning?

Suggest hire a Pickfords removal van...

Wiets Banned User

Hi Chris

Although cheap enough, the Eyelash Yarn at Fiona's Fashion is different from the "Ice" yarn as per photo. The Ice version contains strands of glitter thread whereas the one's from Fiona's does not. However, I still bought bought 6 rolls at about R6.00 each at Fiona's. I also found holographic material there, actually it's holographic film bonded to a very thin netting or lace material - it should be great for crease flies. You are right, not a very helpful bunch of people.
    Last edited by Wiets; 30-06-07 at 08:53 PM.

Wiets Banned User

I found a fly on the Internet that was tied with Eyelash Yarn - "Mardi Gras Bead Snake". Here is what the fly tier said;

"A pair of gold beads for eyes and an extended tail of purple and olive “Disco” yarn. Disco yarn is an eyelash yarn that has highlights of a flash-like material. I think of this yarn as a true fish magnet. The tail is furled from a strand of each color. The body is made up of a strand of each color palmered up the hook. In all operations with this yarn you need to take care to avoid trapping fringes of the yarn while furling and palmering. There is “technique” to it, but it isn’t difficult once you gain some experience working with the yarn. It is tied on a jig hook because I find that jig hooks help in avoiding picking more than your fair share of algae".

Very interesting, thanks Wiets!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.