Thread: river combo

Default river combo

i am considering buying a stream rod and reel my budget is tight so anything over R1500 is to expensive. the size i'm looking for is 3wt
    any info on what works for you will be greatly accepted

I got an Explorer Pro-Cast 764 2/3 Weight rod & reel combo for one of my sons. I put a 3 weight line on it. I was pleasantly surprized how well it worked on our Cape streams. It is easy to cast, load easily and is accurate. He broke the tip section by getting stuck while bundu bashing, and Stream X managed without any trouble to order him a new tip. So, the back-up seems to be good too.
    Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Scullery

Quote Originally Posted by DJR View Post
    I got an Explorer Pro-Cast 764 2/3 Weight rod & reel combo for one of my sons. I put a 3 weight line on it. I was pleasantly surprized how well it worked on our Cape streams. It is easy to cast, load easily and is accurate. He broke the tip section by getting stuck while bundu bashing, and Stream X managed without any trouble to order him a new tip. So, the back-up seems to be good too.
    I second this, I have a mate that prefers his procast above his "proper 3k" stream rod.
    So tell me.... How Big's yours?

Ha ha, I wouldn't quite say that about my darling little 2# Thomas & Thomas, but I will admit that the Explorer will catch me exactly the same number of fish!

B.t.w. I tried the 2/3 Explorer with both 2 and 3 weight lines. With the 3 weight line I found the medium casting action much easier. Especially for small streams and for inexperienced casters.
    Last edited by DJR; 07-11-16 at 02:04 PM.
    Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Scullery