Thread: The Eerste Rivier

Default The Eerste Rivier

To anyone that could spare a few tips like "don't bother" or whatever, i am working in Stellenbosch for the next 2 months and was wondering if and what fish are available in the Eerste river? I've obviously read a bit about the town section briefly in a few outdated articles.
    If it is worth a try where would be best to start. and would one want to move and fish up towards jonkershoek.
    I saw there is the footbridge by the Eerste rivier park, can one fish below that?
    Also any flies that might work there?
    If i don't get a response i guess ill just take a bit of a walking recce and see if i come across any signs of fish or fly fishermen.

Fish from the footbridge up until the omie comes out and shoot at you. Seriously, don't go past the fence that says no trespassing. I've heard that Trespassers will be Prostituted. Some nice spots upriver from bridge.

Going down from the bridge is easy enough if you have a car, or if you are in for some walking. Some nice sports and you can fish all the way to the R44. I've taken some nice ones right at Markotter and across from Paul Roos.

River might be really low at the moment, fish stressed, so make the fight short and put the fish back in the water ASAP.

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

The town section has the most fish and pretty sizeable ones at that. Fish from Paul Roos all the way up passed Coetzenburg all the way up passed the swing bridge. Skip a section then you can fish from the first low water bridge in Jonkershoek to the Reserve border. Quite a long stretch of river but definitely worth it. The river is looking good at the moment.

Thanks guys, sounds promising.. there should be a bit of rain tomorrow, but i saw the footbridge area yesterday and like you said it was looking pretty good.
    probably will only get a chance at it next week. cheers!

Hi old school,

Contact us at the shop, we can put you in touch with some guys who fish the Eerste on a regular basis.

guys i find the above hard to believe as the river is polluted,silted,has bass and drive over over it everyday and have never seen a fish in the town stretch.
    Are there really trout?

Dear Cameron
    I saw the river a few weeks ago and it indeed looks horrible. This is due to inter-basin water transfer from Theewaters kloof into the Eerste system. They have repeatedly done so in years of drought to bring a steady water supply to the farmers downstream. They discontinued this practice in 2010 or so and it allowed the system to recover nicely up until this year when they started again. It usually starts in late November and continues right through summer. As a rule you can fish the stream from September till when the they start in November, the river should be washed clean as a result of the winter rains. Check out Flybru's videos on YouTube to have a gander at the fishing and water quality.

Quote Originally Posted by shector View Post
    Dear Cameron
    I saw the river a few weeks ago and it indeed looks horrible. This is due to inter-basin water transfer from Theewaters kloof into the Eerste system. They have repeatedly done so in years of drought to bring a steady water supply to the farmers downstream. They discontinued this practice in 2010 or so and it allowed the system to recover nicely up until this year when they started again. It usually starts in late November and continues right through summer. As a rule you can fish the stream from September till when the they start in November, the river should be washed clean as a result of the winter rains. Check out Flybru's videos on YouTube to have a gander at the fishing and water quality.
    It is VERY low right now.
    Something I cannot work out is why the irrigation "luiwater" furrow ("The Millstream") is allowed to take off water from the river during drought periods?
    This furrow runs water past the university through town and had more flow in it a week ago that the Eerste. What should happen is that this should be cut off where it pulls water out of the river above the town, keeping that flow in the river.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    It is VERY low right now.
    Something I cannot work out is why the irrigation "luiwater" furrow ("The Millstream") is allowed to take off water from the river during drought periods?
    This furrow runs water past the university through town and had more flow in it a week ago that the Eerste. What should happen is that this should be cut off where it pulls water out of the river above the town, keeping that flow in the river.
    Gary
    I don't know hey, having grown up in the place I have never seen that furrow not running, but I know it does get regulated. in summer the flows are generally lower.

Quote Originally Posted by shector View Post
    Gary
    I don't know hey, having grown up in the place I have never seen that furrow not running, but I know it does get regulated. in summer the flows are generally lower.
    Someone should try say something.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins