Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Natal Scaly

Default Natal Scaly

I Might have an opportunity to fish for Natal Scalies over the Christmas period somewhere in the section between albert falls dam and howick falls.

Does anyone have any experience targeting these guys, and if you've fished near to the stretch I mentioned it'd be good to hear any info specific to that stretch.

Would you approach these guys similarly to the Vaal yellows?

Cheers
    G.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Grant, I've caught them, but not on that particular stretch. I used to fish the river section above Midmar Dam. I found olive flashback nymphs to be pretty effective. I normally fish them in a #14 or so.

Thanks Shaun.

Are you fishing fast/slow water?
    Were you using Strike Indicator/Czech Nymph/Other Tactics?

Cheers
    G
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Grant, I can't say I have really focussed on fishing for scalies, but on the times I have been, I've always caught pretty well.

I used to fish the fairly fast water above where the Umgeni flows into Midmar, and also in the dam itself at the inlet. My technique was pretty simple, just a single fly, slightly weighted, sometimes fished on an indicator, sometimes just on its own, no Czech nymphing or anything like that.

Its been a while since I've done this sort of fishing, I haven't been since Midmar dam's wall was raised a good year or 2 ago, but I would imagine its still a pretty good spot and free to the public. The only drwaback is that you may need ot contend with the pap-gooiers fishing into the dam at the inlet.

Another area I would look to do some fishing for Natal Scalies is at the Umgeni Valley Nature Reserve. They only opened this section of river to fishing a few months ago and from what I hear, the guys are doing pretty well on it. Its a bit of a hike down into the gorge but well worth it. If you check in one of the recent TCFF mags, I think they are now advertising at the back. They only allow very limited rods per day and so booking is essential.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    I Might have an opportunity to fish for Natal Scalies over the Christmas period somewhere in the section between albert falls dam and howick falls.

Does anyone have any experience targeting these guys, and if you've fished near to the stretch I mentioned it'd be good to hear any info specific to that stretch.

Cheers
    G.
    These fish are on steroids in this section of the Umgeni...Fish with weighted lava-lace sanjuan worms and heavy tippet..like 10-20lbs if possible. They fight dirty and damn strong..use a rod of weight 5 or more and a strike indicator. Cast around boulders and let it sink. If you snag the bottom, you're fishing the right depth...i lost 10 fish in like 12 casts cos i had too weak a tippet!(10lbs!!)...They're hardcore! Prepare yourself, cos you will lose flies...take lots.

Quote Originally Posted by phly View Post
    These fish are on steroids in this section of the Umgeni....
    Excellent!!

That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

Cheers
    G.
    Have you read the article about scalies in last months TCFF? If you want I can scan and fax you the article.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Excellent!!

That's exactly what I wanted to hear.
    you might have a problem with dirty water..it's pissing here in KZN...kinda stuffs up the yellowfishing...although you can still get them if you find a pool where they would congregate and throw a fly through them..my mate caught them in filthy water..you just have to hope the fly brushes past them.
    That article's great!! They're awesome fish to catch..

Yeah I saw the article thanks. It's kinda what got me to thinking that I should try for the Scalies. Wasn't that article on the Upper Duzi though?

Yip it was upper Duzi, but tactics should be similar, or not?
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast