Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Natal Scaly

Grant i know a guy down here that fishes that area a lot. He has promised to take me so let me email him and get some info and i will get back to you!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

So I'll be doing my yearly pilgrimmage back to durbs at the end of the year, and like last year, I still have to tick this species off my 9xlifetime list.

Besides the Umngeni Valley lodge and the Inlet to Midmar, does anyone have any new info regarding good spots to get these fish?

Shaun, what's the weather been doing up there? Should I expect choclate milk in the umngeni?
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

This is an interesting read. I have always threatened to go after scaleys when in KZN but have yet to get around to it. Been taking advantage of the salt water fishing.

Good to you around again Paul. Last we spoke the studies were going on. Hope all went well with the exams and that you exceeded your own expectations.

Will call when i am in KZN again (prossibly only next year)

Grant. I hope you drill those fish. Keep us posted as to what works for you.
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Grant, it has been raining a lot here & I suspect all the rivers are dirty. I drove over the Dusi 2 weeks ago & it looked like chocolate milkshake. If I hear the rivers are clearing, I will send a post asap.

The Mooi River is also good for Scaly, I have caught them in this river in the Muden area. I spent 7 years fishing the Vaal (lived in PTA) until I moved back to Durban & the tactics I used are identical to what I used on the Vaal & it worked for me. The rivers here are smaller so you may not need to make long casts as one may do on the Vaal. I do know one thing, these Scalies are VERY strong fish. I had success on Orange Hotspots, flashback Nymphs are also good.

Go to the FOSAF website www.fosaf.co.za, click on the FOSAF icon>Monthly reports>Yellowfish>KZN, here is the latest report & an email address of Neil who you can contact to get the latest info.

Currently we are sticking to the Saltwater, Shaun F & I had planned a trip up to some club waters but the weather has been crappy.

Cheers
    Alan
    Born to fish, forced to work

Hi Grant,

Yeah, not much to add to what Alan said. Has been raining at least 3 times a week, so the rivers are flowing strong and chocolate brown.

Hope you're going to give us a shout while you're up here and even hook up for a beer or something and even a bit of fishing?

Alan: I must tell you, I caught what I would consider to be my best fish from one of the club dams on Saturday. Weighted 6lbs on the nose, but its condition was surperb. Like a rugby ball shaped torpedo of pure muscle that took me on a dogged run well into the backing.

Had another one straighten a hook on me when I had to apply big pressure to keep it out the weed.

Hi Allen.

Good to see your name again as well.

Hope yourself and shaun have a good time on the water.

Will call when i am in the area again.
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Hi guys.
    Another unknown place is the buffels river between newcastle and wakkerstroom.I fished it a lot as a kid.The only problem is that you must know the farmers on the river to get permission to fish and you have to stick to the upper reaches.I have had great success with small zak numph's(#18) and dries as the adams and ddd(also small #14-16).I normally keep my fishing there between march-october.In the summer the water is to muddy.I fished it 2 weeks ago.The one day with about 50cm of visibility,then a thunderstorm hit and the next day visibility went down to about 5cm.
    Logic can take you from A to B.Imagination can take you everywhere.Your passion is your potential.-Albert Einstein

Hey Shaun, that's great, did you take any pics?

Wade, give us a call when you are down again.

Cheers

Alan
    Born to fish, forced to work

Quote Originally Posted by bluegill View Post
    Hey Shaun, that's great, did you take any pics?
    Eish, I was bleak hey ! I left the camera in the car as it was raining, and taking pics with the lens covered in drops of water is a waste of time.

Shot dudes. I think i'll have to give it a miss unless anything changes.

I am up from the 18th dec to the 25th and i'll be in underberg fishing the headwaters of the ngwagwane from the 21st to the 23rd. I was hoping to hit a scaly river on the way back down from underberg.

Hopefully i'll have some time to hook up with you guys between those dates.

Cheers
    G.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2