Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vaal River Drift Preparations

Default Vaal River Drift Preparations

Hi Everyone,

My wife is away for two weeks and so all my closest family for the long weekend 27 April -1 May. So.....I can flyfish the entire weekend non-stop!!!

I am planning to drift from Parys down in my fishing kayak stopping at the many rapids between the islands where not many can go. I will do about 10km and then start the next day from where I ended. (anyone is welcome to join). I do this section throughout summer in my Whitewater kayak but have never fished the section.

I believe from previous years that end April is usually still good for yellows. (hopefully not as cold as last weekend). The water is starting to get more clear after all the summer rains

I will buy my groceries (flies) this weekend so any suggestions welcome. I want to focus a bit on casting dry flies and try for largies also depending where I am.

If you could only take one fly for nymphing for smallies in the rapids what would you take?

Ernst
    Ernst Conradie

Gold bead GRH with orange hotspot
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Vaal caddis. And you'll be drifting through prime largie habitat in the Rocky Ridge area. You might even bump into The Largie Whisperer en route...
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Killer combo at the moment is PTN black with orange tungsten bead on point and a GRHE beaded or green rock worm with orange bead as a dropper. Both small flies # 14 but no bigger than a # 12. Well, that's working for me. Enjoy.

How do you manage the logistics - putting in, safe parking and transfer back out?

Quote Originally Posted by Ernst View Post
    Hi Everyone,

My wife is away for two weeks and so all my closest family for the long weekend 27 April -1 May. So.....I can flyfish the entire weekend non-stop!!!

I am planning to drift from Parys down in my fishing kayak stopping at the many rapids between the islands where not many can go. I will do about 10km and then start the next day from where I ended. (anyone is welcome to join). I do this section throughout summer in my Whitewater kayak but have never fished the section.

I believe from previous years that end April is usually still good for yellows. (hopefully not as cold as last weekend). The water is starting to get more clear after all the summer rains

I will buy my groceries (flies) this weekend so any suggestions welcome. I want to focus a bit on casting dry flies and try for largies also depending where I am.

If you could only take one fly for nymphing for smallies in the rapids what would you take?

Ernst
    I have seen some photos of the water, getting very clear. You should have some good fishing
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Vlamgat View Post
    How do you manage the logistics - putting in, safe parking and transfer back out?
    Hi Vlamgat,

My plan is for Friday to put in at Parys at a public area and drift down to Dimalachite resort on the FS side. Saturday start from Dimalachite and drift down to Schoemansdrif(more paddling than fishing....). I usually pay the day fee at dimalachite and leave my car there, they are helpful if you call upfront and organise.

You are welcome to join the trip, we can then leave a bakkie in town (Spar or somewhere relatively safe) and one at dimalachite.

Ernst
    Ernst Conradie

If the water is clear (in the Vaal that means 30cm+?), my go-to fly has always been a #12 / #14 Hotspot PTN.

or the Mustard Caddis. But always first the PTN.

Thanks for all the fly tips.

The stretch has so many rapids I am thinking of doing max 5km per day (could probably fish 1km a whole day to try every eddy en drift........)

Do you guys think it is worthwile trying for Largies at the moment or not?? Maybe commit one entire day day just for Largies?

I was there last weekend and the visibility was +- 30cm. The water rised to 60cumecs for the weekend after the rain in Joburg but I think between now and 27 April with the water staying low the visibility should get a bit better.
    Ernst Conradie

River very low currently in short jy gaan moet boot trek pappie! Viz is so 10cm maar die visse is daar jy moet net hard werk sterkte!
    Gerrit Viljoen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast