Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sanddrif - Cederberg

Default Sanddrif - Cederberg

Hi Guys,

Heading up to Sanddrif this weekend. Hoping to wet a line on Saturday. Haven't been in the area since 1991 and back then I certainly was not interested in fishing, let alone fly fishing.

Any advice?

Cheers,
    R
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

No advice to offfer, sorry.

<start_hijack>

Simply had to comment, funny how things change hey ? Not growing up in a 'fishiing' family ... I used to like the ocean for body surfing and swimming ... now everytime I see a wave I'm thinking, gully, rocks, rip, Leerfish, Kingfish, Pompano, Wolf Herring, find the baitball, cast it there, retrieve like this

</end_hijack>
    Last edited by Scythe; 15-01-08 at 10:05 AM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendier View Post
    Haven't been in the area since 1991 and back then I certainly was not interested in fishing, let alone fly fishing.
    I was on a survival (Recce) camp with Wynand du Toit at Matjiesrivier. Bunch of Std.6&7 boys, sleeping in the bush, catching snakes and scorpions for supper. Hell it was fun. Funny that no one tried to catch fish?
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Hi Guys,

Heading up to Sanddrif this weekend. Hoping to wet a line on Saturday. Haven't been in the area since 1991 and back then I certainly was not interested in fishing, let alone fly fishing.

Any advice?

Cheers,
    R
    bump
    Rudolph
    Confucius

eish sorry rendier, i don't even know where it is.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Camped there a while back was wasnt into FF then. i know there is a small river running right next to it and if you walk into the mountains there is a waterfall where you can swim. Dont bank on fishing that stretch as every one swims there. Maybe if you willing to take a long hike further up you might get lucky. I do remember seeing small fish there.

If you drive abit further on towards the CAthedral cave(or some name like that, cant remember) the road splits to the right. As you come down the pass there is also a farm there where you can camp. I recall someone saying that there is some good fishing to be had there, but dont know how true it is. There is however a number of rivers and small streams in the area so its well worth exploring.

Dont hink the okes who know the area is going to give away their spots.

Morne

Quote Originally Posted by Morne View Post
    As you come down the pass there is also a farm there where you can camp.
    I know there are some small trout in the Krom River. Will take my 2wt along
    Rudolph
    Confucius

Hi Rendier

I stayed in one of the self catering houses at Sanddrif for a 5 days in December and here's some comments that i have, hope it helps.

There is a nice stretch of river below the main campsite, i fished every morning from say 5 a.m until about 8:30, then the activity started and the fish disappeared. There are only a few spots were you can fish comfortably from the side and the water level was pretty high so wading is difficult. if you have a tube it might be worth a try.

I managed to catch a nice clanwilliam yellow / sawfin in my first hour of fishing on an olive dragon nymph / attractor pattern...beginners luck i take it because only hooked and lost 1 more in the next four days. There are a few decent size fish up to say 40 - 45 cm (not plenty though) that i saw in the river. I fished an intermediate line but there are plenty of rises and active fish from first light until about 6:30 or so. They tend to swim / cruise slowly up and down the river so if you sit and wait you will definately see activity. Sight fishing is tough as the water is quite dark early on however i tried casting and letting the fly lie and then a slow retrieve to anticipate the path of the fish.

Also caught some small largemouth bass in the same stretch...few and far between. There are plenty of rock pools with juvenile fish further up passed the campsite but nothing bigger than say 25 cm that i saw.

Hiked up to the Disa pools and can confirm good few rainbows in the deeper pools at Krom River

Anyway enjoy the weekend hope you catch a couple!

I know there are some small trout in the Krom River. Will take my 2wt along
    The higher up you go, the fewer the fish as the river thins out, but the deeper pockets in between the bits of dried up river bed sometimes produce some pretty big trout. I once caught a 16 incher in one of those pools.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Hi Rendier

I will also be there this weekend. It should be quite good after this rain. Be very careful handling the Clanwilliams and/or Sawfins and remember to remove any bass you might catch.

Enjoy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast