Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Cape Town

Default Hello from Cape Town

Hey All!

I started fly fishing when I was about 10 years old and recently have gotten back in to it. I also recently moved to Cape Town from Pretoria and can't wait to try out the waters of the Western Cape.

I signed up on the forum to learn more about fishing streams/rivers (and the ones in the Western Cape specifically) for trout and yellowfish, as 95% of my fishing has been done in dams for stocked trout.

Cheers,
    Matt

Contact the Cape Piscatorial Society. Perhaps even join them? They control and manage most of the stream fishing in the Western Cape. They also have access to some good stillwaters. You don't have to be a member to fish the CPS water, but you do have to book and pay through them. Here is the link for their website:

http://www.piscator.co.za/
    Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Scullery

Appreciate the advice! I just checked out their website and I'll definitely be joining them along with a permit from Cape Nature.

The best you can do is come to the functions at the CPS, introduce yourself, get to know a couple of guys and ask to go fish with them.
    You will learn more from 2 or 3 sessions with the old hands on the river, than 5 years on your own.
    If I am available I will take you for a session or 2 as well.
    I normally only fish the mornings, back in Cape Town by 11 or 12.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Welcome in the Cape Matt. Jip, CPS is the way to go.

Also go and say hi to Phillip at Eikendal. Don't know when he will stock for the season,, but always fun to go out for the day of fishing there. And the wine is good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    The best you can do is come to the functions at the CPS, introduce yourself, get to know a couple of guys and ask to go fish with them.
    You will learn more from 2 or 3 sessions with the old hands on the river, than 5 years on your own.
    If I am available I will take you for a session or 2 as well.
    I normally only fish the mornings, back in Cape Town by 11 or 12.
    That definitely sounds like the right way to go! I've just paid for my membership at CPS and will be attending the functions for sure!

Thanks for the very generous offer, I would definitely take you up on that if you have any availability! Please do let me know, my schedule is very flexible.

I also have a quick question if you don't mind? What is the best rod/reel setup for the CPS steams? I currently have a 5wt 9ft TFO rod with a Sage 2200 series reel and Scientific Angler floating line. I've ordered a couple things online that should be arriving soon including a 3wt 10ft rod and 2wt 7.5ft rod. I haven't bought a reel yet for these rods though.

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    Welcome in the Cape Matt. Jip, CPS is the way to go.

Also go and say hi to Phillip at Eikendal. Don't know when he will stock for the season,, but always fun to go out for the day of fishing there. And the wine is good as well.
    Thanks!

I actually checked out the website of Eikendal recently but saw the dam is currently closed due to the low water. So I ended up going to La Ferme which was a bit disappointing due to the number of bait/pap lines in the water.

In any case, I'll definitely make a trip out there when the fishing is on. The wife will enjoy the wine while I enjoy the fishing

Quote Originally Posted by MattGeri View Post
    That definitely sounds like the right way to go! I've just paid for my membership at CPS and will be attending the functions for sure!

Thanks for the very generous offer, I would definitely take you up on that if you have any availability! Please do let me know, my schedule is very flexible.

I also have a quick question if you don't mind? What is the best rod/reel setup for the CPS steams? I currently have a 5wt 9ft TFO rod with a Sage 2200 series reel and Scientific Angler floating line. I've ordered a couple things online that should be arriving soon including a 3wt 10ft rod and 2wt 7.5ft rod. I haven't bought a reel yet for these rods though.
    you can start with the #5. 20 years ago, a #5 was the go to rod on the Cape Streams. Now it is a #3.
    you will probably not use the #2 a lot, except for some days as a little dry fly rod. But 95% of your fishing you will do with the #3.
    After the Holsloot washed away, we have only a short section of river where the short #2 will be handy, and that is the about 80 meters of the EP 1.
    If you can, I would suggest cancelling the #2.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    you can start with the #5. 20 years ago, a #5 was the go to rod on the Cape Streams. Now it is a #3.
    you will probably not use the #2 a lot, except for some days as a little dry fly rod. But 95% of your fishing you will do with the #3.
    After the Holsloot washed away, we have only a short section of river where the short #2 will be handy, and that is the about 80 meters of the EP 1.
    If you can, I would suggest cancelling the #2.
    Thanks, makes sense. That 2wt was so ridiculously cheap, that I just threw it in the basket and said why not

Quote Originally Posted by MattGeri View Post

Unless you have an itch to buy a new reel your 2200 (and Im guessing you have the 5-6) reel only weight 18 grams more than the 3-4. I would just use that with a new line. But something tells me you have other plans :biggrin:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast