Thread: 9wt setup that won't break the bank

Default 9wt setup that won't break the bank

I'm sure this has all been discussed previously on the forum multiple times but times change and technology updates, so here goes.

I mainly fish rivers and a few stillwaters, but I really want to target Tigers and the multitude of saltwater species we have on offer in and around the southern Africa. I have never fished in salt and am looking for some sound advise from the community. I am looking at buying a semi-decent setup for this, something that isn't going to break the bank but still last a long time with good care and maintenance.

I have been looking at the Airflo Delta reels and they seem reasonably priced and have decent reviews, but this could just be marketing. Is anyone using one that could give a better insight?

When it comes to rods I don't even know where to start, there are so many and I am looking for some advise on brands and models.

Any good combos for beginners? Or someone selling and old setup?

If you are looking for cheap, I recently had a Stealth Start 9 weight that I got as part of a purchase of some other stuff. It impressed me with its castability although the fittings were a bit cheap and nasty (guides, cork etc.). I ended up selling it for R800.

If you want something a little better you can't go wrong with TFO. If you can find an old Professional Series (discontinued) you should be able to pick it up for about R1500. They are awesome rods, perhaps not as light as the high end stuff, but certainly capable.

Also think about looking at an 8 weight, then you can overline it with a 9 weight line. Modern rods have become so efficient that a 9 is sometimes overkill.

Sorry I don't have anything lying around at the moment!

You could watch the OLX and Gumtree etc for people selling old tackle. Some really great bargains.
    Or you can ask the fly shops if they do not have an old second hand set they want to sell.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I have a Chards Tropical 9wt floating line for you, used 3 times R750 postage included.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    I have a Chards Tropical 9wt floating line for you, used 3 times R750 postage included.
    Thanks Gerrit, but will need a reel to put it on first:wink:

Quote Originally Posted by tombosis View Post
    If you are looking for cheap, I recently had a Stealth Start 9 weight that I got as part of a purchase of some other stuff. It impressed me with its castability although the fittings were a bit cheap and nasty (guides, cork etc.). I ended up selling it for R800.

If you want something a little better you can't go wrong with TFO. If you can find an old Professional Series (discontinued) you should be able to pick it up for about R1500. They are awesome rods, perhaps not as light as the high end stuff, but certainly capable.

Also think about looking at an 8 weight, then you can overline it with a 9 weight line. Modern rods have become so efficient that a 9 is sometimes overkill.

Sorry I don't have anything lying around at the moment!
    Thanks Tombosis. Will definately keep my eyes peeled

Thanks Korrie, I do keep checking gumtree. I live in the stick and only get to tackle shops once a month or so. Will be checking out some on Friday when I'm in the big city

maybe this will do and im sure if you ask nicely shipping can be arranged:

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-sports-b...60910328765509
    Doug Larson said, "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."