Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: fly rods for a little girl

Default fly rods for a little girl

Good morning

My daughter is showing interest in FF and I would be elated if she could join me on the WC streams one day. She's 12yr so my question is what type of rod is suited for youngsters? I havent seen anything on the shelves regarding this age group.

Jason
    Doug Larson said, "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Hi
    a #3 in the 7'6 or 8" will be fine.
    Light enough for her to handle and enough backbone to land a good fish.
    I suggest that you bring her to one of the WP fly tying evenings.
    there are a couple of girls interested in fly fishing in the Cape.
    She will meet like minded kids and you will meet parents, a mutual symbiotic relationship.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

PS: I have a rod as mentioned if you want to borrow it to try it out
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Hi Korrie, When are these evenings happening? would it clash with me being a Boland member? Im just waiting on a reel to arrive then will take you up on that #3 offer.
    Doug Larson said, "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Interesting Question - would that Japanese style of fishing (which for the life of me the name now escapes me) not be an interesting way to simply introduce children to fly fishing? It takes a lot of the technical stuff of reel/line etc out of the equation and is basically dip-sticking with flies - much less moving parts and would help get the rhythm of casting without trying to cast far,.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Interesting Question - would that Japanese style of fishing (which for the life of me the name now escapes me) not be an interesting way to simply introduce children to fly fishing? It takes a lot of the technical stuff of reel/line etc out of the equation and is basically dip-sticking with flies - much less moving parts and would help get the rhythm of casting without trying to cast far,.
    Tenkara Japanese style.
    Might be an option, but the long setup might be a bit more difficult to control vs a short rod and limited line out only.
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Jason vL View Post
    Hi Korrie, When are these evenings happening? would it clash with me being a Boland member? Im just waiting on a reel to arrive then will take you up on that #3 offer.
    You a Boland member and your daughter a WP member, she made the wise choice.
    The Junior nationals are due in 2 weeks, so all the prep work is for the nationals, not much happening for the next month.
    will send you a PM
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Tenkara Japanese style.
    Might be an option, but the long setup might be a bit more difficult to control vs a short rod and limited line out only.
    does it have to be a long rod?
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    does it have to be a long rod?
    I do not think that you get "short Tenkara's"
    Korrie Broos

my daughter did very well on a 7ft 6 4 weight biocraft a few yers back. Sarah struggled with 4wt 9 ft, 4wt 8ft, 2/3wt 7ft6 & 5wt 9ft. i think a short light rod with matching line did the trick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast