Thread: Smallmouth bass

Default Smallmouth bass

Hello all,

I have been watching lots of videos on targeting smallmouth bass on fly and it looks awesome! I want to try my hand at catching a few.
    Does anybody know where to target the species in the greater Stellenbosch/Cape Town area?

PS. As an avid rock and surf angler I know everybody has their secret spots, but if I could just have a broad answer on roughly where to target the fish I would appreciate it

Best spots are the Breede river where there are riffle to faster flowing water and Die Mond in Tankwa Karoo
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Best spots are the Breede river where there are riffle to faster flowing water and Die Mond in Tankwa Karoo
    Great! Thank you very much Korrie.

The Breede is not too far from me, so will see what the possibilities there are.

You will find Smallmouth in the Berg River which is closer to you.

Quote Originally Posted by white death View Post
    You will find Smallmouth in the Berg River which is closer to you.
    I did a float trip down the Berg River, from Wellington for about 10km last year.
    NOT FUN.
    All the rubbish that can be washed down the roads etc from Paarl and Wellington, the town and informal settlements etc. ends up Berg river.
    We saw a couple of carp and that is all.
    When you get out and walk in the river bed, the river bed/mud/sand stinks.
    AMAZING water, lots of structure and absolutely beautiful to drift/paddle. really STUNNING.
    But not again.
    The treated sewerage water (grey water) is pumped into the Berg River, below Wellington as well.
    This year, the Berg river is exceptionally low, I do not want to know what the river bed is like now.
    Maybe it dries out a bit and the rotten mud is cleared.

Before the Berg River Dam it could have been stunning. The advantage of the Berg River Dam is the controlled flow.

The section above Paarl have one or 2 really good spots, now that I think about it, that I have fished, but these are all on private waters
    Last edited by Korrie; 17-10-17 at 04:20 PM.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Sorry to read that the Berg is in such a state. Have some good memories of catching Trout as far down as Wellington (Sedgewick's Weir now gone), Smallmouth to Wemmer Junction and Witvis and Bluegill below Wellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    The section above Paarl have one or 2 really good spots, now that I think about it, that I have fished, but these are all on private waters
    Ahh that is a pity about the Berg rivier. I have not fished it before, but took a drive in the area above Paarl and the water there looked very promising.

Does anybody know anything about fishing for smallies in quaggaskloof/brandvlei dam I am going up in November and thought I might try fish for some, we are staying near the dam wall in a rental house for the weekend?

The river below the wall is good.
    Korrie Broos