Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stuck in a rut fishing?????

Default Stuck in a rut fishing?????

I had a conversation with a couple of fly fishers in the last week.

We chatted about the various styles of fly fishing, why do a specific style etc.
    We talked about upstream dry fly, down stream dry fly, Wet flies, soft hackles, the various forms of nymphing, streamers etc.

It is amazing how many fly fishers are stuck in a rut, with only fishing one way, year in and year out.
    This is what was shown to him many years ago, and he thinks this is the only way to fish.
    Some say "it gives me pleasure so I do not need another way"
    How can you know if you do not fish another way, or make sure you master another way to fish and then fish it that way.
    Some have never tried streamers, other have never fished North country spiders, Upstream or the down stream way.

There are so many different ways to fly fish, why be stuck in a rut, doing one way only?
    Go out, try downstream nymphing, or swing a wet fly or 2, on the Cape streams or for Yellows on the Vaal or Orange.
    You might be surprised how many more trout you get on the Cape Stream with North Country spiders. or how many more SM yellows you will get along the edges of the Vaal and Orange with a traditional March Brown wet fly
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I think all fly fishers can admit to doing this at one point in time.
    I have been guilty of this, fished a dry upstream most of the seasons I have been on the cape streams.

So I decided this year I want to give more attention to nymphing so I can fish a beat better and not leave water untouched because I don`t know how to fish a nymph properly. Thus far have been surprised with it and have had good results.

I think it boils down to being adaptable depending on the conditions you are faced with on the day.
    So tell me.... How Big's yours?

For years I was stuck in a rut, fishing "upstream dry fly only" on the Cape Streams.
    Then I discovered Nymphing.
    Later I discovered North country spiders and wet flies.
    Later I discovered Streamers.
    each of these are very technical if you go really "deep" into it.
    I am by no means an expert in all, but I do fish each style thru the year and each gives me a lot of pleasure.
    The amazing part is how you learn something from the one style and it later it helps you when you are fishing another way.
    I have had people saying but how do you fish streamers in the Cape?
    Easy, Upper Hotel beat and lower Transport, early season when the water is high, the river is wide, flat and open. Shuffle along the edge, down stream and viola
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

I have to get the Skagit/Scandia/Spey lines and fishing under control, then i will be happy
    Korrie Broos

my guilt was streaming at first, last two decades has been a good mix of everything but double handed and tenkara rods

have not done the Tenkara, played a bit on the river, but that is all
    Korrie Broos

For most, you do not need a special rod, except Tenakara and double handed rods, just a shift in mind set.
    Korrie Broos

Remember for many guys nymphing,and especially short line techniques are talked about as not been fly fishing.I think that might just mean you are a one minded person and nothing wrong with that.
    I like fishing,and more so only on fly because thats what i like.But i will do anything to catch a fish on fly,any style,any fly any advantage.I will go as far as putting a 2 onch sinker on the end of my leader to get down to a depth if i must.

The difference between 'n habit, a groove, a rut and a grave is the depth.
    Last edited by Korrie; 04-10-17 at 03:26 PM.
    Korrie Broos

I've just recently started FF, always wanting to do it. I've fished rock and surf and other fresh water namely bass and carp. FF has to be the most challenging form both technically and practically. For now I am trying to get as much fishing in as possible and try all the aspects of it. its difficult as gear is limited and expensive, however i find the reward and learning curve far greater than other aspects. when going bass fishing now i look at my bass gear but grab my fly gear because its just so much more rewarding fooling that fish with a fly. I can understand why some people take the purist approach with this pastime. I will be Cheq Nymping soon for yellows and cannot wait to try this aspect.
    Doug Larson said, "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast