Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lilydale or Vanderkloof

Default Lilydale or Vanderkloof

A friend and l would like to do a yellowfish mission.

We are complete novices when it comes to yellowfish.

With a bit of research on the intraweb we narrowed it down to these two venues.

Which would be best for beginner yellowfisherman?

Recommendations on any other venues about 2 hours from Bloem is also welcome.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Between the 2 you mention Lilydale will kick a beginners butt and then some.Its not your typical venue as water is generally very clear and fish very spooky and knowing how to read them is the key.Lilydale is one of my favourite yellowfish spots and will choose it above anything else you present me,even over Sterkies.
    Vanderkloof is starting to pick up a little although water is still a bit murky and cold but i think within the next 2-3 weeks it should be good.
    Another nice spot to fish is Christiana.There is a nice camp spot on the river and about 3km of vaal with good water.

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    Between the 2 you mention Lilydale will kick a beginners butt and then some.Its not your typical venue as water is generally very clear and fish very spooky and knowing how to read them is the key.Lilydale is one of my favourite yellowfish spots and will choose it above anything else you present me,even over Sterkies.
    Vanderkloof is starting to pick up a little although water is still a bit murky and cold but i think within the next 2-3 weeks it should be good.
    Another nice spot to fish is Christiana.There is a nice camp spot on the river and about 3km of vaal with good water.
    Thank you.

Will have a look at Christiana.

What would the best way be to fish Vanderkloof? I assume a boat is essential. Are there any guides/lodges that do day trips?

Lilydale at the moment is incredibly hard to fish. Like, fish spook at 30 meters hard to fish. I was there for a few weeks (about 6 weeks ago ) and left 2 days early to explore another venue it was so frustrating.

I would consider going somewhere else on the Vaal like Christiana. I saw Fred Steynberg posted some photos of VDK recently and they had some decent fish. The Orange is flowing dirty at the moment, so the Vaal is the best bet when it gets some rain in the next few weeks.
    Last edited by JadeDsantos; 24-10-17 at 10:40 AM.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by hilros007 View Post
    What would the best way be to fish Vanderkloof? I assume a boat is essential. Are there any guides/lodges that do day trips?

A boat is essential to fish VDK, although with the lower level at the moment access along the banks is a bit easier. Google Selous Fishing, they do guiding and provide boats etc there on the river and dam.

Also consider the Hunter- Fisher camp near Douglas, haven't been since they built it but its good river with access to both Vaal and Orange. Also no boat will be necessary, just a bunch of heavily weighted nymphs!

Quote Originally Posted by tombosis View Post
    A boat is essential to fish VDK, although with the lower level at the moment access along the banks is a bit easier. Google Selous Fishing, they do guiding and provide boats etc there on the river and dam.

Also consider the Hunter- Fisher camp near Douglas, haven't been since they built it but its good river with access to both Vaal and Orange. Also no boat will be necessary, just a bunch of heavily weighted nymphs!
    I was at Jacques camp the same time as my above post, his camp is below the confluence, so the water is not clear yet, but on his Hunter Fisher Facebook page their are some recent images of some good fishing. Go check it out. I can highly recommend Jacques guiding and camp.

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    Are to referring to the old Protea Hotel site? Or another camp spot?

Thats it. Also chat to Jopie at Waaihoek - Nice accommodation and good water to fish.

Thanks. I have fished at Waaihoek in Warrington, when it used to be called Destination-X. A really great venue. I am looking to try camping at Christiana soon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast