Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: J Vice

Quote Originally Posted by Gael View Post
    http://www.jvice.com/

R1800 listed on website but I would first check with Jay
    The Jvice looks great! For some folks with a limited budget and a money hungry SWAMBO, its defenitely the vice for them. Would not mind a Jvice with all the attachments. Have a look at the accessories link on that site, damm they thought of everything.
    Last edited by chriss; 05-07-07 at 07:45 AM.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing!
    ~ George Bernard Shaw ~

Pierre,

Neil Rowe has a J-vice, suggest you try tying with one before you buy. Depending on the size of your hands and how you tie, the knobly bits above the stem may get in your way.

I'm with Mike on this one, eventually got a Renzetti Traveller from AA Outfitters. Extremely happy with it ! You are welcome to come have a look/tie some flies at my place. I am in Fish Hoek. John Yelland should also have a couple of models at Upstream. And King Domehead aka Leonard has one too.

You can of course get the saltwater traveller, where you get jaws capable of holding bigger hooks.

Mias has a special on the Danvise at the moment for R 425 (add in latest TCFF). Sean has one to try if you are interested in that. Same comments about knobly bit as for the J-Vice.

Hi Eben

Thanks, i'll chat to them and see if i can take a look at them. I'll make aplan to come visit you, thanksa allot. I'll be using mine primarily for saltwater flies so yes the saltwater traveler wil suit me better. I've had a look at the Danvice and was not impressed by it. It felt a bit flimsy. That is the problem with my current el chelpo vice, so i'm scared of bying something that will only dissapoint me.

Pierre

I have had the J Vice for 3 years now and it is great. The standard jaws are perfect for saltwater flies but I have subsequently bought the midge jaws from Jay Smit as well.

This is a very professional, well made local product which I personally think Jay should be very proud of.

Renzettis are beautiful vices but, as has been said before, you must compare apples with apples.

If you like you can come around and tie some flies with both sets of jaws.

PS. Is it true tha the Renzettis are made in China now?

Quote Originally Posted by Gael View Post
    http://www.jvice.com/

R1800 listed on website but I would first check with Jay
    Thanks Gael
    Looks awesome. They've thought of everything there.
    Cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Pierre

There is only one vice and that is the Renzetti.

I can not figure out what all the guys are on about when they say that their hands are too big for a vice. I have never heard of this before and it seems that only guys on the forum have this problem. I can understand that big fingers can be a problem when attempting to manipulate materials on a small hook, but this is not a complication caused by the vice.

I have not used a Jvice before, so the only comment that I can make is that I don't like the look of it. It simply, with all due respect, looks home made to me.

Whatever you decide on, don't buy any vice for the accessories. I bought the Rezetti Master along with every imaginable accessory about ten years ago and most of these accessories are gathering dust. The only exception is a lap extension. This makes a huge difference in your comfort when tying for long periods and manipulation of the vice is much better.

I would suggest that you give Murray Peddar at Flyfishers Unlimited a ring about the Renzetti models. He will give you honest advice based on many years of experience.

Cheers
    MC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12