Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Which weight rod?

Question Which weight rod?

What would you guys suggest as the ideal weight rod for small stream fishing in the Western Cape?
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Rendier View Post
    What would you guys suggest as the ideal weight rod for small stream fishing in the Western Cape?
    Hi Rendier, I would recommend a 3 weight, medium actioned rod in a 7 to 8 foot length for starters
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Hi Rendier, I would recommend a 3 weight, medium actioned rod in a 7 to 8 foot length for starters
    Thanks Chris. It ahs to go on my Christmas list
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Rendier View Post
    Thanks Chris. It ahs to go on my Christmas list
    Good luck! I hope Father Christmas packs one in for you before departing from the North Pole. Just one word of caution, don't shake it around too much when you get it, it may still be a bit brittle from the sub 0 temperatures from whenst it came
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Since you have such a close connection with the man, maybe you could ask him about a few things I would like?

But, Chris is spot on, however, I would go one line weight lighter, down to a 2W and if you’r tight with the big guy, ask him for that pretty little Loomis 8 foot Stream Dance, I cast it the other day, and I think I’m smitten, I might even rate it over the Thomas & Thomas LPS, but I haven’t fished it yet. So the trial is incomplete till next of next month.
    To paint lines on a silver stretch of stream, is to be humbled by nature and to be closer to thy maker.

I recently bought a 3 weight vision rod for the cape streams, med-fast action. Very nice rod for the price. Seems like the right weight for the job. I can understand why some people can go lighter, but the 3 suits me.

Quote Originally Posted by izak View Post
    I recently bought a 3 weight vision rod for the cape streams, med-fast action. Very nice rod for the price. Seems like the right weight for the job. I can understand why some people can go lighter, but the 3 suits me.
    A 3 weight is an ideal allrounder for most of the WC streams- especially with the pumping South Easters and North Westerlies that we have to often contend with. In my opinion, you made the right decision.

Kev i have found a 3wt 8ft Greys. Is that length ok as an all rounder for the WC streams?
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

I have been using a 7" 3 wt Redington for the last 10 years on the streams and I would not change it for anything.It is bad enough coping with the wind on a 3 wt can't imagine going lighter although I can understand the appeal.Incidentally I broke it on the Holsloot this past Saturday!Redington said they will honour the lifetime guarantee and replace it with a new 4pc 3 weight.Yippee.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
    A 3 weight is an ideal allrounder for most of the WC streams- especially with the pumping South Easters and North Westerlies that we have to often contend with. In my opinion, you made the right decision.

Yes, the rod is great. Until recently I used my bass/saltwater rod to the streams. A 9 foot 6 weight! Ha ha! what a joke. Lets just say I spooked more that my fair share of trout. Trying to elegantly present a dry on a 6 weight takes some skill, skill I don't have. Having the right gear for the job is important.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast