Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stealth deep red 9 piece

Question Stealth deep red 9 piece

Hi everyone,

I have been a long time follower of posts on this forum, but this is my first post over here...

Anycase , I have been wanting to buy a "Stealth Deep Red" 9 piece for some time now..... the idea of always being able to take it along is really appealing, plus, it is a bit cheaper than most other ' smugglers' , but obviously the advantage of being able to take it anywhere will be negated if the thing casts like a broom stick ....... does any one own one of these or have any experience ?

Since I no longer live in SA I cant just go and test one... any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I don't quite know why you'd want a 9Pce when you get the 5Pce rods that are small enough to fit inside a regular attache case, tube included.

Scierra makes a very nice selection of 5Pce Traveller/Smuggler rods and they're more than adequate ito backbone, casting etc if you want to check alternatives to the Stealth.

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have been a long time follower of posts on this forum, but this is my first post over here...

Anycase , I have been wanting to buy a "Stealth Deep Red" 9 piece for some time now..... the idea of always being able to take it along is really appealing, plus, it is a bit cheaper than most other ' smugglers' , but obviously the advantage of being able to take it anywhere will be negated if the thing casts like a broom stick ....... does any one own one of these or have any experience ?

Since I no longer live in SA I cant just go and test one... any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    I gave one a wag in a tackle shop recently, and didn't like it at all.....which means nothing of course........I happen to like noodles! Not many do. The deep red aint no noodle though. It is a pretty quick and powerful little stick. If nymphing is your thing, you'll probably love it.
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 16-07-07 at 03:25 PM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Default Thanks

Thanks for the feedback Chris , I decided to buy it.... so I will let you know what I think of it after it has seen some action on this side of the world, I would use it mostly for nymph and streemer fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Chris , I decided to buy it.... so I will let you know what I think of it after it has seen some action on this side of the world, I would use it mostly for nymph and streemer fishing.
    I found the rod casts quite nice , as Chris said it has a fast action that I seem to like

Should be good for steamer fishing .

Default Deep Red

I have now had my Deep Red 9 piece for 2 weeks, and I must say I like it allot, I use it with a WF Airflow ridge line, and it casts very well indeed. I have not caught any big fish with it yet , they have all been below the 10kg mark ....well below actually....the biggest was about 1kg - but I am at 5 species already.

If you travel allot and never want to miss another fishing opportunity, then I can highly recommend the 9 piece Deep Red - the only problem is.... that it feels like forever to get all 9 pieces together if you are surrounded by hungry fish !
    The fishing is always good; it is the catch that varies……

Default Travel Rods/ Smugglers / Poachers

Interesting topic and quite technical I'm sure. Has anybody out there buildt a 7 - 9 piece rod? Personally I am a sucker for them. I own a 7 pc March Brown and are over the moon with it.

Quote Originally Posted by fraroux View Post
    Interesting topic and quite technical I'm sure. Has anybody out there buildt a 7 - 9 piece rod? Personally I am a sucker for them. I own a 7 pc March Brown and are over the moon with it.
    Hi

Building one of these multiple piece (7-9) rods are quite a challenge. Done one, and I doubt that I would again.

Regards

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by fraroux View Post
    I have not built a 7-9 piece rod, since I have not found any blanks. Honestly, I never looked to see if there was any available - will Google around a bit
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuide.co.za View Post
    I have not built a 7-9 piece rod, since I have not found any blanks. Honestly, I never looked to see if there was any available - will Google around a bit
    I personally wouldn't own one though...all those section must affect the blank's action, and put too many "dead" spots in the blank. The more sections, the "stiffer" the rod becomes and the more "flat" spots it WILL have.

There's no denying it...take the same blank...one or two pieces. Cast it...then take a 9 piece blank, and cast it. Feel the difference.
    For example...if you take a 2 piece rod, break it into 9 sections. Then join those 9 sections with small ferrules of metal, wood, graphite or other blank sections. It will NOT cast the same anymore.
    Hey...might be better, who knows...if the blank was too "noodly" to start off with!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast