Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is your vice shaft diameter?

I have another solution:

What about having a raised piece of wood with a lip that is kind of in the same place as where darryl's pedestal currently is on that station? The C-clamp could then be attached to that raised section and then you don't have to worry about different diameters as the c-clamp will fit all sizes.

What do you think?

G

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Hi Wiets, My measurements are with a vernier so they should be pretty accurate. My Stealth vise uses a threaded screw (for want of a better word) to hold the shaft in place. If you made something similar to attach to the base with an ID of 10mm it should work for a variety of shaft sizes ? Here are a couple of pics to explain:Regards, Darryl
    Hi Darryl

Thanks for your effort and input. What you have shown in the photo's is exactly what we have in mind. It sure beats the looks of a raised pice of wood most fly stations offer.
    Last edited by Wiets; 10-07-07 at 10:00 PM.

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by aswadi View Post
    I have another solution: What about having a raised piece of wood with a lip that is kind of in the same place as where darryl's pedestal currently is on that station? The C-clamp could then be attached to that raised section and then you don't have to worry about different diameters as the c-clamp will fit all sizes. What do you think? G
    Hi Grant

We can certainly do exactly as you have mentioned and as currently available on most other fly tying stations. Although it will work, I do not like it as it is rather ugly. At this stage, this solution will be our last resort in solving this minor difficulty. We need to create produts that is not just functional and practical - but which are also presentable. The policy is that we ourselves must be happy and proud to own and use our products. If we ourselves are not satisfied with the products, how can one expect consumers to be satisfied? Until then, we will not sell our goods to customers - hence the several freebies as seen on the forum.

How's that for sales talk?

Wiets,

Not sure if you have had a look at the following i.t.o. your research for attachment points for non-pedestal benches:

Wasatch (the Coldstream bench has a similar design)
    http://flydepot.com/flyfishing/pn--w...desk/pid--224/

Oasis Fly Factory
    http://www.oasisbenches.com/fly_factory.htm

If you are going into this for serious production, I'd like to suggest that you also make up some tool caddies only (without the desk component). Modeled on something like the Renzetti Tying Caddy. Maybe a small, medium and large version. I'd be happy to test and provide feedback

Yeah the oasis benches was what I had in mind when mentioning the lip for the c clamp to attach on to (Aswadi was me - I finally have my original user id back). I think their C-Clamp solutions are quite stunning, but I do like your sales talk Wiets. I think you guys will do well!

As I said before, I am very much looking forward to seeing your solution for a c-clamp vice. Remember that some people's preference for a c-clamp is the opportunity to raise or lower the height at which you tie. I am not entirely sure if this is possible with a pedestal vice or to what extent, and by placing a c-clamp vice shaft into a hole, you are taking that ability to lower or raise the vice away and you are stuck with an awkwardly high sitting vice (for me at least).

I apologise if I am sounding negative Wiets. I really like your guys ideas so I am just trying to add constructive points. When thinking about a C-Clamp converter you must remember the Length of the shaft too. When I tie, the c clamp probably has 2/3rds of the shaft above it and 1/3rd below it. I would not be able to lower it by a third with a pedestal or c-clamp converted hole in the tying desk? I Just thought this might be something to think about?

Cheers again
    Grant.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Wiets, Not sure if you have had a look at the following i.t.o. your research for attachment points for non-pedestal benches: Wasatch (the Coldstream bench has a similar design)
    http://flydepot.com/flyfishing/pn--w...desk/pid--224/ Oasis Fly Factory http://www.oasisbenches.com/fly_factory.htm If you are going into this for serious production, I'd like to suggest that you also make up some tool caddies only (without the desk component). Modeled on something like the Renzetti Tying Caddy. Maybe a small, medium and large version. I'd be happy to test and provide feedback
    Hi Eben
    Thanks for your input. We already have a tool caddie - see Tool Caddie. This caddie is 16 mm which is not thick enough - we have now made it 32 mm thick. As suggested by you, we will have a number of these caddies in various sizes and configurations. We are also looking at manufacturing these caddies using foam in addition to the MDF with thermoformed plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Yeah the oasis benches was what I had in mind when mentioning the lip for the c clamp to attach on to (Aswadi was me - I finally have my original user id back). I think their C-Clamp solutions are quite stunning, but I do like your sales talk Wiets. I think you guys will do well! As I said before, I am very much looking forward to seeing your solution for a c-clamp vice. Remember that some people's preference for a c-clamp is the opportunity to raise or lower the height at which you tie. I am not entirely sure if this is possible with a pedestal vice or to what extent, and by placing a c-clamp vice shaft into a hole, you are taking that ability to lower or raise the vice away and you are stuck with an awkwardly high sitting vice (for me at least). I apologise if I am sounding negative Wiets. I really like your guys ideas so I am just trying to add constructive points. When thinking about a C-Clamp converter you must remember the Length of the shaft too. When I tie, the c clamp probably has 2/3rds of the shaft above it and 1/3rd below it. I would not be able to lower it by a third with a pedestal or c-clamp converted hole in the tying desk? I Just thought this might be something to think about?
    Cheers again Grant.
    Hi Grant
    No, you are not negative - just the opposite. Thanks for your opinion and suggestions. What you have mentioned is precisely the type of info we need since we have not considered the height adjusting angle. The trick will be to find a solution which is functional, practical but also attractive. Now that I have seen the Oasis bench, I have to agree that it is indeed a nice and well considered setup. The Oasis bench is manufactured using wood which is quite different from the material we are using - MDF with thermoformed plastic. The properties of the two materials offer different posibilities. Mmm .. perhaps we should introduce fly tying stations manufactured from wood as well.
    Last edited by Wiets; 12-07-07 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiets View Post

Yes, we have already designed and programmed the tooling to produce a fly tying station for a lefty. We will also be manufacturing a number of different sizes and designs with a choice of accessories.

Wiets, I'm not sure how big the current model is, as I can't tell by the pictures. Any chance of producing one that can be broken down to be smallers and useful for a portable kit, or that has hinged sections ?

Also, I've bidded in the auction but I'm not around next week to make further bids, and really wouldn't mind just buying a lefty version, especially if it can fold up smaller. Please drop me a pm if you can assist.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiets View Post
    Hi Grant

We can certainly do exactly as you have mentioned and as currently available on most other fly tying stations. Although it will work, I do not like it as it is rather ugly. At this stage, this solution will be our last resort in solving this minor difficulty. We need to create produts that is not just functional and practical - but which are also presentable. The policy is that we ourselves must be happy and proud to own and use our products. If we ourselves are not satisfied with the products, how can one expect consumers to be satisfied? Until then, we will not sell our goods to customers - hence the several freebies as seen on the forum.

How's that for sales talk?

How about this for a solution? You build in a pedestal, with a screw lock as per Darryls photos. Ok, but the hole in the pedestal is larger than the largest vice shaft, say 15mm for example. On the opposite side of the hole, opposite from the screw lock, you cut a keyway. Then you supply a number of different thickness keyed bushes, which would allow the tyer to match the hole size to their particular vice shaft.
    Last edited by ShaunF; 12-07-07 at 08:23 AM.

*Bump for Wiets*

Wiets Banned User

Hi Shaun

Sorry, I did not see these.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Wiets, I'm not sure how big the current model is, as I can't tell by the pictures. Any chance of producing one that can be broken down to be smallers and useful for a portable kit, or that has hinged sections ? Also, I've bidded in the auction but I'm not around next week to make further bids, and really wouldn't mind just buying a lefty version, especially if it can fold up smaller. Please drop me a pm if you can assist.
    Fly Tying Station II size: 600 x 408 mm

The are many possible ways to manufature these fly tying stations and it can be manufactured in untold shapes and sizes. When one manufactures something for yourself, you normally tend to live with the mistakes that come along with the original. However, when manufaturing something for retail, these mistakes cannot be tolerated as they create tremendous customers frustrations and resistance. This has the potential to kill your brand even before things got off the ground. Then, to create a new product and get it manufatured to an eacceptable quality takes many proto types and lots of resources. For us, to invest this energy and resources into a one-of-a-kind product is simply not viable. My intention is to start with one product and too then get it right - once done, move to the next product, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    How about this for a solution? You build in a pedestal, with a screw lock as per Darryls photos. Ok, but the hole in the pedestal is larger than the largest vice shaft, say 15mm for example. On the opposite side of the hole, opposite from the screw lock, you cut a keyway. Then you supply a number of different thickness keyed bushes, which would allow the tyer to match the hole size to their particular vice shaft.
    We thought about this and are looking at this as a possible solotion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Members who have read this thread: 1