Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is your vice shaft diameter?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wiets Banned User

Default What is your vice shaft diameter?

I would like to know what is your vice shaft diameter. No, not your shaft - your fly tying vice shaft in millimeters.
    See yellow and red circle in photo below (this happens to be Darryl's setup).

I would appreciate if quite a few members can help me out here. Are these shafts perhaps a standard diameter or not?

Last edited by Wiets; 10-07-07 at 01:28 AM.

will look in the morning. my mom is sleeping in the room where the vice is and she thinks i'm also sleeping, dam i feel like a loop dop now
    darryl is that a standard stealth setup? looks very nice
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Geez, now I can see why you drilled so many holes in the portable flytying station.

Sorry, cant answer your question right away, but am curious to know why you are interested in that measurement Wiets?
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Wiets, as far as I know, there is a standard shaft diameter on most vices, to allow for accessories such as that Griffin hackle guage in the pic etc to be fitted to the shaft. Just not sure the exact diameter, but I'll see if I can find out.

Wiets, just had a quick google. It would seem that while there isn't really a standard shaft size, most vice shafts are 3/8" or 9.525mm and smaller.

And I'd just like to add that flytying station looks the bee's knees. Is there any chance you'd be able to flip the layout for a lefty ?

just measured mine and it's 9.5mm
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Sorry, cant answer your question right away, but am curious to know why you are interested in that measurement Wiets?
    Hi Chris, we are looking at solutions to the flyting station where people have table clamp vices. Our thinking is to incorporate a base into the fly tying station regardless whether it is a pedestal or a table clamp setup. This would be possible is there is a standard shaft size.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    And I'd just like to add that flytying station looks the bee's knees. Is there any chance you'd be able to flip the layout for a lefty ?
    Yes, we have already designed and programmed the tooling to produce a fly tying station for a lefty. We will also be manufacturing a number of different sizes and designs with a choice of accessories.

A big thanks for the guys who listed sizes so far. I would appreciate a few more.
    Last edited by Wiets; 10-07-07 at 07:29 PM.

I measured mine with a ruler, so it could be closer to Shaun's measurement.
    cheers

It appears my decent American vices are 3/8'' but quite a few other decent ones like Thompson AA appear to be 10mm. A couple of El Cheapo old Sunrise types I measure to only be about 8mm. I'm using a ruler so can't guarantee exact measurement - hope of some use

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    I measured mine with a ruler, so it could be closer to Shaun's measurement.
    cheers
    Hi Wiets,

My measurements are with a vernier so they should be pretty accurate. My Stealth vise uses a threaded screw (for want of a better word) to hold the shaft in place. If you made something similar to attach to the base with an ID of 10mm it should work for a variety of shaft sizes ? Here are a couple of pics to explain:

Attachment 1016Attachment 1017Attachment 1018

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.