Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Balsawood Poppers

Default My First Balsawood Poppers

Hi

I received my balsawood from Wiets yesterday.

Played around with some of it last night. I didn't have woodsealer or anything like that but I think they came out OK'ish for the first try.

I put epoxy over them for a bit of shine.

What do you guys think ?
    I tried them out over lunch and they floated correctly (Phew!!!) and made nice splashes when retreived.
    Sorry if the picture qualty is a bit bad - took them with my new phone.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

nice work! what size hooks are you using?

and congrats on the new phone too
    the patient mental...

Devlin

Size 2 - If I remeber correctly - It is the same hooks I tied the diving flippers for the Saltwater flyswop with.

They are quite rough but I didn't have any fine sanding paper to make them smooth etc - just cut the Balsa with a carpet knife. Must go shopping for supplies - probably Sunday.

I added glitter over them while the Epoxy was still tacky.

Cheers

Nothing wrong with those. They will definately work. I think we must get this popper challenge underway. There's enough balsa to hand out to some friends
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Try to use some material in the tail that is stronger than herl...e.g buck tail or synthetics. It would be a K@k story if the fish are biting and all of the tail is missing.... other wise smart popper
    Be the change that you want to see

FLYWATERS

im keen for a popper challenge. Whats the deal?
    Vow not to stop until i've got a kingfish, but then gentlemen... it has just begun...

Nice work, Reinier! Bass will murder those. You say you only used a carpet knife for shaping the bodies? That's pretty hardcore. I received my balsa yesterday, and can't wait to get carving. THANK YOU WIETS AND DEVLIN!! YOU GUYS ROCK!!!
    I'm with FIGJAM on the tails. I've been tying some baitfish flies and foam poppers with polar fibre and slinky fiber etc., and with a drop or two of epoxy to secure the thread head, they're bullet proof, man.

Cheers..

try using feathers for the tails.they give the poppers alot more movement.actually looks as if the fly is "swimming"
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

That's right, with the feathers curles outwards for 'leg' and more movement type action, and facing inwards for a sleeker more fishy/leechy/snakey type action

Jis ouens!!

I have an awsome idea for the popper competion.

But you guys will just have to wait and see,will have to tie up one and look at the action to see if it will work

leeroy

I am coming down to your area soon so we can meet up and maybe go moer a bass or two or maybe hook some unexpected saltwater fish in the mouth.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast