Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Makriel" ?

Question "Makriel" ?

Aloha Fleas,

My 'Art Lure Angler' boet went on a day trip outng to Roodekoppies dam and was very happy to come back reporting that he caught 17 "Makriele"

Now aside from the fact that all Art Lure Anglers are of sub standard intelligence and personal hygiene, the 'guide' who hosted the day was insistent on the fact that they're called "Makriele"

Unfortunately I don't have a snap of one to show, but was wondering if any of you know WTF a freshwater "Makriel" is ? I've googled around a bit and couldn't find anything useful.

TIA,

Scythe

I caught one when I was a kid. They almost look like silver coloured barbel. They have "snorbaarde". They don't seem to have any scales. They have a peg on the back fin that can stab you if you're not carefull - much like a sea barbel.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Methos View Post
    Scythe

I caught one when I was a kid. They almost look like silver coloured barbel. They have "snorbaarde". They don't seem to have any scales. They have a peg on the back fin that can stab you if you're not carefull - much like a sea barbel.

Cheers
    Hi Scythe - ja it sounds like silver barbel.I've seen my boet catch many of them on artlure gear.Luckily he is now a very much converted fly fisher.In fact he kicks himself each day saying: why did I take so long to find myself?

Yup, its a silver barbel - Shilbe mystus or Shilbe intermedius or something like that depending exactly on where in Southern Africa you are.

looks like this :

There are millions of the buggers in Arabie (flag boshielo) dam.
    Check your knots!

Thanks chaps and especially Jock0 ... I knew I would be able to lure you into reverting to your papgooi days

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Thanks chaps and especially Jock0 ... I knew I would be able to lure you into reverting to your papgooi days
    I have only ever gooied pap twice. Earthworms plenty, still do, but even I take "pap" as an insult
    Check your knots!

Aloha Fleas,

My 'Art Lure Angler' boet went on a day trip outng to Roodekoppies dam and was very happy to come back reporting that he caught 17 "Makriele"

Now aside from the fact that all Art Lure Anglers are of sub standard intelligence and personal hygiene, the 'guide' who hosted the day was insistent on the fact that they're called "Makriele"

Unfortunately I don't have a snap of one to show, but was wondering if any of you know WTF a freshwater "Makriel" is ? I've googled around a bit and couldn't find anything useful.

TIA,
    This just shows how "Superior" us flyfishermen are really. We are better than them, but have no knowledge of the fish they even catch.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

I never said fly fishermen are better or superior ... I just said that Art Lure Anglers are of sub standard intelligence and of dubious personal hygiene.

Were you an Art Lure Angler in a previous life or something ?

NEVER!!! hehehe.

Nah It never stuck. I went from limpits on hooks in rockpools to flies on long sticks in small pockets but missed the whole artificial lure thing imbetween. Some guys i know haven't made the full transition though - they still put limpits on their hooks and cast them with a fly rod! (No names mentioned! ).

I have recently found myself trying out different types of fishing like proper pap gooiing for carp which is pretty frikken detailed and I find it very interesting the contraptions they use and theconcotions they make. I tried a bit of the art lure bass thing but can't get the hang of it. hehehe - maybe I am devolving?

As i have been going through a bit of a SM Bass craze for the last year or so, I have found myself dredging through loads of artlure forums and websites to find any information that could be salvaged for use while flyfishing. It started as a way to figure out behavioural patterns of SM bass but i quickly learned many other things that could be translated for fly fishing for bass as well as trout (eg the triggers thing i mentioned a while ago).

There is much we can learn from other types of fishing, and I am sure there is much they could learn from us too if they thought they could aproach us without being looked down upon...
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

I never said fly fishermen are better or superior ... I just said that Art Lure Anglers are of sub standard intelligence and of dubious personal hygiene.

Were you an Art Lure Angler in a previous life or something ?
    No, that's not fair Scythe, you could at least have used the word 'some' or 'most'.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast