Thread: Woolhead Mullet

Default Woolhead Mullet

A little help from all the boffins is needed.
    This may seem like a very silly question (and i am sure i will be asking alot of these in the very near future). Having only recently started tying my own fly's, and seing as my fingers resemble pork sausages (thus making the tiny dry flies extremley difficult) i staryed out tying salt water patterns as they are bigger and easier to hide any beginners mistakes.

I have tied a few woolhead mullets with a polar fibre body but am not 100% happy with it (an have only been able to find it in white).

My question, in the woolhead mullet pattern the body is made up of either lambs wool, egg yarn or polar fibre. What exactly is lambs wool (saying that out loud sound stupid, i know it comes off a wooly animal which the Aussies seem to enjoy spending time with ) but on a practical level where would one find this, and is it the same as a sheep pelt? Thanks in advance.

Kyle

Lambs Wool is marketed by Wapsi and Rams Wool by Spirit River.
    Available at most fly shops at approximately R15 per pack.

It is basically just a patch of wool on the skin that has been bleached, cleaned and coloured. It is similar to the old seat covers, but the fibres are longer and available in a wide range of colours.

Awesome stuff and it really works much better than the Polar Fibre option. Select packets with long fibres, but the fibres should not be too straight.

Cheers
    MC

MC,
    Thanks for the response. Will have a look next time i am at flywaters, but dont recall seeing any last time i was there.

Kyle

Not sure that Sean has stock.

Maybe give Tuckers or Suburban Tackle a call.

Cheers
    MC

Thanks will do.