Thread: What rod to buy?

Question What rod to buy?

Hi gents

I would like to ask you good people what fly rod to get for fishing cape streams like the Elandspad etc. I currently have a G.Loomis 5 weight Matrix that i am using for still water fishing but i would like to know if i should buy a smaller rod like a 2 or 3 weight for the smaller streams. I am not very clued up with what would be the better weight or brand type so if any one could offer me some advice i will very pleased indeed Also what do you think of the Loomis rods compared to explorer etc. The fly bug has caught me and i totally love fly fishing and I am now buying a lot of goodies - spending spree cant stop! want to buy a rod that will last me a while and not break the bank cause swambo will catch me in the end - but i will tell her its a present for her and she must come and join me fishing naaaa dont think that will work

G.Loomis fly rods are great. which Explorers have you looked at? i use(d) an explorer guide 3wt for the Cape streams (while i was still down there) and i've enjoyed every cast. to a degree it depends on your casting style as well. do you have a very chilled/laid back/capetonian-style casting stroke, or is the more aggro/hurry-up-and-get-the-line-out/joburg cast? also depends on your budget
    the patient mental...

Hi Noel. I use a 2wt on the streams, but my cousin uses his 4/5wt Explorer Classic on both the Elandspad and Smalblaar. 5 wt might be a bit heavy, but give it a go.
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

I have noticed over the past year that this question has come up time and again. It is the first question that every newcomer asks, "what rod should I get?" Perhaps there should be a seperate section devoted to this, i.e. rods for streams, stillwaters and saltwater, kinda like a quick reference that we can add to as new rods are discovered, with general comments on each one's performance?
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Noel
    I visited Phillip Meyer at Eikendal on Tuesday, where I picked up the new Xplorer Classic2 and Guide Series 7'6 2/3wt rods and was amazed how light it was and how well the rods were made. If I was on a shoe string budget and wanted a decent stream outfit, I would probably go for one of the two depending on cash flow.
    The other option, if you have a little more cash to spend, would be a TFO 7'6 2wt. I was inlove with this rod the moment I picked it up and cast it. I forgot how beautiful it was, until I had a go at it again on Tuesday, simply beautiful! You can ask Chris Shelton about the rod, he owns one and is absolutely smitten with it!
    For years now I've been fishing a Stealth Xtreme 2wt. It was my first designated small stream outfit. I have since retired it in favour of a Vision 6'6 2wt, but that rod has caught hundreds of trout! When I took it out of it sack the other day, it was I like speaking to an old friend. I'm using it again this season, I simply love that rod! Amazing!

If you want a small stream outfit definitely go for a 2wt 7'6!

mmm am also eyeing that rod out still ! Is schweeeet

Hi Noel.

I use a Stealth 2/3 on the Smalblaar and Elandspad, however if the wind blows really hard I'll use my Explorer Classic 5wt Travel rod (8 Piece). It fits in my backpack easily.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

The Temple Fork 2 WT Finesse is awesome. Take a look at it before you buy. Flywaters Eikendal stocks them plus you can take it for a spin before you buy

The last time I was in the Cape I used two rods...a Horizon 3wt 8foot rod on the Smalblaar, and an Ecotec River Run 3wt 7'6 on the Witte.
    Damn, that Ecotec is dirt cheap, but I swear it outcasts some big brands out there! It's also a 3 piece rod.

If you have the money, my vote is for the 3wt's...G. Loomis, Sage or St. Croix. The St. Croix Legend Ultra is a beauty of a light rod too.
    If you are budget consious, have a look at the Ecotec...it will amaze you, for the money you pay.

Thanks for all the feedback guys
    After i posted this thread i did a search as well on rod information I found a huge load of info already on the site which helped me in making my decesion on what to get.
    My casting style I think is a bit rushed at the moment and I am trying to slow it down a bit as when I am on a stream i always think there is more fish in the next pool or run, so I get a bit hasty to finish an area and move on to the next one - a bad habit
    The rod i ordered is a TFO 3 weight - 8.6ft Lefty Kreh Profesional series rod with a Cabela Prestege Plus reel and a Mastery GPX weight forward fly line. It comes as a package deal and I paid R2000 for the lot including air freight from America to my place.
    I hope I made the right choice, I have only heard of good comments on TFO rods so I think it was a good buy.
    Now I must just tell my better half about the new rod..........