Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barbel

Default Barbel

I did a search but came up in the fish cooking thread. I'm fishing voolvlei tomorrow and know there are many barbel there. Never caught one on fly yet. The carp guys are using chicken livers etc. I'd love to "give them one"....by getting on fly. I've heard of them being caught at Sonstraal on Carp Fritz,
    Any tips will help, I read somewhere Chris Williams catches them, so Chris...talk to me
    Cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Allot of different techniques, I will read up on Terry’s suggestions if I were you:
    Go to: http://www.fishingowl.co.za/ - browse: Fly-fishing -> fishing for catfish -> Catfish by Terry Babich – part one and two.....
    Main thing I seem to do wrong is not wait long enough after letting the fly sink to the bottom before retrieving it!
    most difficult part seems to be getting the school of cats - for me anyway....
    No one does it smaller then me!

Hey Rols, Cant say Ive caught them in Voelvlie but Have caught my fair share in the black and liesbeek rivers. Im sure the techniques would similar if not the same?
    Basically anything big that pushes water, fished along the bottom will work. Ive been catching them on clousers for years, mainly cause the are big, sink quick, the hook faces up.. and I have thousands of them But we've caught them on WEIRD creations like heavily weighted deer hair bodies with Cock hackle tails and elastic arms/legs. A mission to cast but work well. I actually had a session last week catching them on poppers in the late evening! Either fish it slow or fast, I find pretty fast strips work best but my friend swears by a slower strip. It doesnt really matter, they'll eat anything they can catch. Pretty easy!
    Colours dont really matter as long as they can see it ie blacks purples reds greens etc.
    Dont know how deep the water is but if you have a sink tip line (Or Intermediate) for deeper water and a floater for the shallows it will stop you snagging up too much.
    Cant think of anything else at the mo but shout if you got questions.
    And good luck tomorrow!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Thanks guys
    Got a lot of info from thread Thriss. Thanks Matt I've got a load of clousers
    I'm gonna take with.
    Hope I can post a "I got him"
    Cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

Sucker punching works a treat.

Spot the barbel rising, find his pattern, get ready and false cast in anticipation of where he will rise next on his regular pattern, as soon as the whiskers touch the surface you klap him on the snout with the fly.

Carnage !

Default the technique

HI Rols,

I have found that using a heavy fly , with lots of movement , IE a extra heavy woolly bugger , works fantastic , but its all about the technique ,

For your first 3 cast - whip it back quickly so it makes that loud sucking/ popping sound in the water. on the 4 th one leave it for at least couple of min before you even think of the slow retrieve.

well thats my 2c , sounds crazy i know but it works - just make sure that non of the pap gooiers see you doing it , you'll never hear the end of it
    "Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time."

Default fly combo

Hi ,

For barbel I usually use flies in a team, the most successful combination is a big black popper with a black leach training about 40 cm behind .... but I only target them in the late afternoon when they can be found closer to the surface.

Good luck and tight lines !

btw , has any one ever caught a monster ? by biggest barbel on fly is only 6kg ..

Quote Originally Posted by pellieg View Post
    HI Rols,

I have found that using a heavy fly , with lots of movement , IE a extra heavy woolly bugger , works fantastic , but its all about the technique ,

For your first 3 cast - whip it back quickly so it makes that loud sucking/ popping sound in the water. on the 4 th one leave it for at least couple of min before you even think of the slow retrieve.

well thats my 2c , sounds crazy i know but it works - just make sure that non of the pap gooiers see you doing it , you'll never hear the end of it

Agreed, good comments, a black Whistler of rabbit strip fly (wrapped round body as hackle and a trailing tail) also works wonders in deep holes in my local little rivers, also on dams - hang on for dear life!

Waterdog

My biggest one and only one was 8kg. Really gave me good rev. Saw bigger ones but they buggered off with out taking the fly.

Cheers

geez guys just reading the site that Thriss sent makes we wonder why I been fishing for midgets at Strand all this time. Sounds like you can get your tackle tested to the full here. Ugly looking buggers though. I've got a much better idea now and am geared up for the morning. Thanks for all your help.
    Cheers
    Roland

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast