Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: yellowfish on light tackle

Default yellowfish on light tackle

What is the lightest rod you have caught yellowfish on, and how did you enjoy it?

Personally it was a 3WT on the Vaal, luckily it was a very small fish and even with that ... never again.

I know Geelkoors got a nicely sized guy on his SAGE 000 but that was on Sterkfontein.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    What is the lightest rod you have caught yellowfish on, and how did you enjoy it?
    3wt Stealth on the Orange 4 or 5 years ago - it was Feb - caught lots up to 3.5 kg's and never had a problem landing them. Went back the same year in April with the water a couple of degrees cooler and couldn't land a single fish on the 3wt. Now I fish with 5wt and 6wt. You planning on trying out your 000wt on the Orange ?
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    3wt Stealth on the Orange 4 or 5 years ago - it was Feb - caught lots up to 3.5 kg's and never had a problem landing them. Went back the same year in April with the water a couple of degrees cooler and couldn't land a single fish on the 3wt. Now I fish with 5wt and 6wt. You planning on trying out your 000wt on the Orange ?
    did already...great

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I've also caught on a 3wt. I regularly use lighter line than most guys would though. I go down to 2kg Maxima (essentially this about 2.5kg - 2.7KG of any other line.)
    Last edited by dizzy; 18-07-07 at 09:04 AM.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

well, I personnally don't like to admit it but 2wt, and to protect the rod I went down on tippet material to about 5x, did not enjoy it one bit, the approx. 2.5kg fish I landed did not like it one bit, and I did not play this game again.
    Last edited by pieterkriel; 18-07-07 at 08:31 AM. Reason: can't type today

The lightest is a 7'6 2 wt , and i loved every second of it , this is all i use in the fast waters , just hope i dont get a monster on it and it drags me to the freestate
    "Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time."

Quote Originally Posted by pieterkriel View Post
    well, I personnally don't like to admit it but 2wt, and to protect the rod I went down on tippet material to about 5x, did not enjoy it one bit, the approx. 2.5kg fish I landed did not like it one bit, and I did not play this game again.
    I agree exactly with Pieter. I had almost the identical experience - tried once and never again! My trusty T and T 10' 5wt sees me thru the bulk of my Vaal yellowfishing. On the smaller streams with smaller fish of the various yellow species, I'm happy with a 9' 4wt. When fishing for LM I step up several outfit-weights depending on the size of the fish expected

Caught small/largescales on my 3wt 7'6"...wouldn't go lighter. Maybe 2wt 7' in really small streams in the North, but even then...you have the chance of hooking a fairly sizeable fish and the 2wt is just not fair to the fish then.

Never caught smallmouth on anything lighter than 5wt, and never will. It's not fair on the fish. We are after all practicing catch and release...and by that we mean release after the shortest fight possible and that's fair, so the fish is still full of beans when it's released. 1 - 2kg fish are fine...but there's always the possibility of hooking a 3kg to 5kg plus fish...then the minimum you need is 5wt...not for your "pleasure", but to be able to land the fish without a lengthy fight.
    Last edited by Michael; 18-07-07 at 09:28 AM.

Not to get into that old argument again ... but I honestly think it's unethical and even cruel to fish ultra lightweight tackle for a fish like SmallMouth and for any fish really.

Sure, it's great fun, it's a great fight, you have to use all your skill to outwit your quarry and then, as you have savoured the magical triumph of angler over fighter and as you share that exceptional bond while the fish is slowly finning around in your hands while regaining conciousness you rarely ever think that after the release the fish is going to find the nearest little hidey hole in some grass, roll over onto it's back and die.

In my view 2-3WT qualifies as ultra lightweight tackle where SmallMouth in flowing waters are concerned and it shouldn't be used unless you're fishing to small yellows > 500 grams in say the mountain streams around Lydenburg or any of the other places you find yellows that don't get too big.

In by no means a treehugger, I just don't want to cause any more damage than absolutely required in my pursuit of pleasure ... viz ... fly fishing.

My R 0.02.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast