Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: yellowfish on light tackle

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    I've also caught on a 3wt. I regularly use lighter line than most guys would though. I go down to 2kg Maxima (essentially this about 2.5kg - 2.7KG of any other line.)
    Not to go down that route again but how does 2 = 2.7 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfever View Post
    Not to go down that route again but how does 2 = 2.7 ?
    Don't you know? Maxima is strong like Russia.

No really, Maxima is under rated. Not that I need to prove anything, but test it yourself and you will see.

On that note. Please provide some proof that fishing light kills fish. Saying it is un-ethical is merely an opinion.
    If we are going to do something, why do it half.
    It is or it isn't! I can understand that stomping through a spawning bed,
    or fishing to spawning fish is un-ethical and going to kill them, but fishing light?
    I dunno, maybe you need to show me!
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

interesting responses. One of the guys on my recent trip to Richtersveld fished almost the entire time with his 000wt. It didn't take excessively long to reel the fish in, and he got a good few in the 2Kg area. I took the rod and got a couple of smallish fish, arounf 1Kg, and was surprised at how quickly they could be brought in. i'm not sure if I wiyuld want to do this with huge fish in fast water, but nonetheless, the rod performed brilliantly, and no harm done to the fish.

Please provide some proof that fishing light kills fish.
    You need proof that catching a fish will kill it ? OK here goes, go to a trout farm ... same thing applies to Yellows and _any_ fish.

Here's some reality for you:

You take a fish out of water, it dies.
    You fight a fish too long, latic acidosis sets in, it dies.

That's proven, that's not under debate.

On lighter tackle you can't possibly hope to subdue a fish of size X in the same amount of time it would take to bring in the same fish on heavier tackle. That's pure physics. Need more 'proof' ?

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    ... the rod performed brilliantly, and no harm done to the fish.
    Look, Mario Geldenhuys and Darryl Lampert have commented on the fact that they've caught ~20" troot on their 000 and whatnot, so I have no argument with the fact that you can subdue a fish on light tackle and quite possibly even do it in a reasonable amount of time that's fair to the fish, however specifically in this case "fair" equates to safe release of the fish ensuring survival POST release.

I'm saying that once you let the fish go, you have no idea what happens to it further on. That's also a fact. It might swim away looking fine and roll over in a bunch of grass not 15M from where you let it go and because of that reason I think when fishing you should use a tool that is adequate for the task at hand.

As fly fishermen we practise C&R to ensure sustained use of the resource right ? So then how does fighting a fish to what will inevitably result in death subsequent to release fit into that logic ? That's right, it doesn't.

As for wether or not it's just an opinion, you're absolutely right Dizzy, that's why I said "My R 0.02."
    Last edited by Scythe; 18-07-07 at 06:12 PM.

I agree with Scythe...the fact of the matter is you can get fish in much quicker with the correct rod, than trying to go too light. You also have to match the rod with the tippet strength you are fishing...no use fishing a 5wt rod with 7X tippet...then you are going to prolong the fight anyway by being afraid of breaking the tippet.

Match the wt of the rod, and the tippet, to the fish you are targeting. And not the "average" size ones, be prepared for hooking the bigger ones.

I'm sure a 8lbs trout or 10lbs yellow will be great fun on 3wt's and down, but it's just not common sense. The more the fish stresses, the more acids build up in it's body...and yes, like Scythe says it may swim away looking healthy, but it's not. It could take up to a day or two for the fish to die, but it surely will if the stress has been too much, and the fight too long and exausted the fish.

Angry

Don't you know? Maxima is strong like Russia.
    On that note. Please provide some proof that fishing light kills fish. Saying it is un-ethical is merely an opinion.
    If we are going to do something, why do it half.
    It is or it isn't! I can understand that stomping through a spawning bed,
    or fishing to spawning fish is un-ethical and going to kill them, but fishing light?
    I dunno, maybe you need to show me!
    Just like you can kill a Kudu with a .22 instead of a .30 caliber. The evidence is sometimes rotting away in the veld for no one to see....

Unfortunately the evidence is floating belly up in the Vaal 24 hours later. I cannot say more on the subject because then I will have to quote Armand from a previous thread.

If a fish builds up acid in its body because its being caught, then we should all really stop catching fish then, as no matter if its 1 minute, 10 minutes or 1 hour, that fish has this so called acid build up (of which by the way, you still have not provided proof, mereley a statement), and can still die from it not so?

In my rather short 15 years of fishing experience, I have never seen any fish drifting past me, doubt I ever will.
    I have seen dead fish, but not caused by being caught.
    If conserving these fish is so important to you, then its not my tackle which you need to be concerned about.
    You should start at the industries who pump chemicals and raw sewerage into our rivers and catchments areas.

Quite honestly, I see no problem in the way I fish, its not different to the way you fish. I still have to have proper knots,
    I still have to find my fish. I still have to use the correct fly.
    I still have detect the bites, I still have to get my fish to net.
    I still have to release my fish.

The only difference - my maxima is probably 0.01mm thinner/thicker than your Araty/whatever.

Its my preference and like I said before, give me proof, then I will agree. But until such time, tight lines.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

... If a fish builds up acid in its body ... blah blah blah short sighted fatalistic nazi rant continues ...
    Dizzy, the whole point of a debate is the sharing of views and opinions in order to possibly learn something or at the very least see a specific topic from another person's point of view. More likely than not one ends up leaving the debate with a heightened sense of awareness and that is the main benefit of any kind of interaction between sentient beings. (other than if during the course of interacting with a particularly lovely female sentient being you also get to copulate with her)

If you intend and resolve to see everything said as a personal attack on your beliefs and your views which in return you offer nothing but an extremely fatalistic response to then there really is no point in talking to you now is there ?

Sorry, I cannot find the sharing in the word debate

de·bate /dɪˈbeɪt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[di-beyt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, -bat·ed, -bat·ing.
    –noun 1. a discussion, as of a public question in an assembly, involving opposing viewpoints: a debate in the Senate on farm price supports.
    2. a formal contest in which the affirmative and negative sides of a proposition are advocated by opposing speakers.
    3. deliberation; consideration.
    4. Archaic. strife; contention.
    –verb (used without object) 5. to engage in argument or discussion, as in a legislative or public assembly: When we left, the men were still debating.
    6. to participate in a formal debate.
    7. to deliberate; consider: I debated with myself whether to tell them the truth or not.
    8. Obsolete. to fight; quarrel.
    –verb (used with object) 9. to argue or discuss (a question, issue, or the like), as in a legislative or public assembly: They debated the matter of free will.
    10. to dispute or disagree about: The homeowners debated the value of a road on the island.
    11. to engage in formal argumentation or disputation with (another person, group, etc.): Jones will debate Smith. Harvard will debate Princeton.
    12. to deliberate upon; consider: He debated his decision in the matter.
    13. Archaic. to contend for or over.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1250–1300; (v.) ME debaten < OF debatre, equiv. to de- de- + batre to beat < L battere, earlier battuere; (n.) ME debat < OF, deriv. of debatre]

—Related forms
    de·bat·er, noun
    de·bat·ing·ly, adverb

—Synonyms 1. argument, controversy, disputation, contention. 5. dispute, contend.

Exctract from dictionary.com
    Daryl Human

In this case I disagree that fishing with light tackle kills fish, and you and Yellowfever do.

I asked for proof, and all you give me is your opinion.

I'm always keen to learn, hence the reason I said you should show me! Until such time I cannot agree with you!
    Daryl Human

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast