Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: drop shot fly fishing

Default drop shot fly fishing

Check out this fly, tied from a Berkley Power bait "Realistix".
    Designed to revolutionise estuary flyfishing, incorporating drop shot techniques into flyfishing.
    What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Andre; 21-07-07 at 03:35 PM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

must have taken hours,
    that is pure dedication,
    I think we shoul introduce a Wiets type event here where maybe you tie up 10 similar flies and we can auction them off, if you are avble to take the time and effort to do this.

Ja, jeez, I can tell how impressed you are. Rightly so. It's not so much as the tying time, but the years of perfecting the concept. I blow myself a way sometimes.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

This is absolutely smashing.. I cant believe I did not think of it myself!!! have you tested this DROP SHOT style out? and have you got a photo to show us of a fish caught using this style of fishing.

The Idea has got me. does the dumb bell tied on the hook act like a jig head? and what retrieve would you use?
    Be the change that you want to see

FLYWATERS

Quote Originally Posted by FIGJAM View Post
    This is absolutely smashing.. I cant believe I did not think of it myself!!! have you tested this DROP SHOT style out? and have you got a photo to show us of a fish caught using this style of fishing.

The Idea has got me. does the dumb bell tied on the hook act like a jig head? and what retrieve would you use?
    Not bad huh, ja, its cast out on an intermediate line, allowed to go down about a foot or two and brought back with a medium to fast short strip. It also is quite effective when the rod is moved from side to side, or up and down in a slow "jigging "motion". Larger versions with substantially more weight are deadly when dropped over the side of the boat and jigged aggressively. For this you need a 12wt rod, for obvious reasons.
    As for fish caught.....first time out, after about 5 minutes... Hows that huh???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real nice picture where was this leerie caught?
    What other lures have you tried
    Be the change that you want to see

FLYWATERS

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Ja, jeez, I can tell how impressed you are. Rightly so. It's not so much as the tying time, but the years of perfecting the concept. I blow myself a way sometimes.
    I remember being blown away by one Mr Cox about the ethics of even suggesting such a thing in one of the leerie threads. I think you can be lucky to be getting away with this so lightly Andre. I will give you one thing though.....great minds think alike!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    I remember being blown away by one Mr Cox about the ethics of even suggesting such a thing in one of the leerie threads. I think you can be lucky to be getting away with this so lightly Andre. I will give you one thing though.....great minds think alike!
    Heh heh heh, I was wondering when I would hear from you about this Chris. It seems that either the forum has been left totally speechless, or have just dismissed it a some worthless prank. Do you think it would be more ethical to make it out of epoxy, or some other accepted material to look and behave in the same way as this would, or is there an issue that this "fly" took all of 15 seconds to tie, where if it was fabricated from scratch, thus re inventing the wheel, would take several hours probably. I haven't actually fished it, the one in the picture was caught on a popper (if you study the pic seriously, you will see the popper) These little rubber baitfish immitations are fished ethically by the saltwater lure guys, so if we fish it with fly tackle, does that make it unethical just because we are fly fishers? I would have no ethical issue with fishing this "fly" on fly tackle, just as I have no issue with fishing it with drop shot tackle. Does the type of tackle make it ethical or unethical? I don't really know. What I do know, is that it will work as well with a fly rod as it does with a spinning rod.

Gogga Banned User

Heh heh heh, I was wondering when I would hear from you about this Chris. It seems that either the forum has been left totally speechless, or have just dismissed it a some worthless prank. Do you think it would be more ethical to make it out of epoxy, or some other accepted material to look and behave in the same way as this would, or is there an issue that this "fly" took all of 15 seconds to tie, where if it was fabricated from scratch, thus re inventing the wheel, would take several hours probably. I haven't actually fished it, the one in the picture was caught on a popper (if you study the pic seriously, you will see the popper) These little rubber baitfish immitations are fished ethically by the saltwater lure guys, so if we fish it with fly tackle, does that make it unethical just because we are fly fishers? I would have no ethical issue with fishing this "fly" on fly tackle, just as I have no issue with fishing it with drop shot tackle. Does the type of tackle make it ethical or unethical? I don't really know. What I do know, is that it will work as well with a fly rod as it does with a spinning rod.

Aah, the ethics of fly fishing, or perhaps what constitutes a fly and what doesn't.

This is a very, very debatable subject, looking at your "questionable" fly - why is it questionable - because its made of a material other than feathers or fur? If that be the case - what about poppers - spoon flies and a whole host of others take this example, for example -

The floating Gummy minnow is the hottest fly in Belize at certain times of the year, Tarpon are not interested in bugger-all except it. Does this fly wonder into the realms of unethical - if not why not - what is the difference between it and the one you are showing?

Yet every saltwater fly fisherman I have ever fished with has absolutely no issues at all with it.

Maybe it is more in the traditional fresh water arena that we get our knickers in a knot.

I know that poppers for trout are frowned up on, however poppers for bass are not a problem at all, so perhaps its the trout and Salmon boys that are the sticklers - In Scotland they use tube flies big time, for Atlantic Salmon. However, when you closely look at things like the "Willey Gun", "Pot Bellied pig", and stacks of others - I ask - what the hell is the difference between those and a flying C for example.

Anyhow, I'm sure that this will be debated at length, and perhaps a few traditionalists will get in on the act - I look forward to your responses.

All the best
    Mike

heehee....I think what got up Mr Cox's nose is that I was contemplating using the Berkley 'baby shad' impregnated variety. May aswell use bait!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast