Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yellow venues like Elgro?

Quote Originally Posted by Dyno View Post
    Hello, Hello... welcome, your going to fit in just fine.

Check out this link http://www.dwaf.gov.za/Hydrology/rtmain.aspx

If the flow is bellow 25tons, (cubic meters per second) it is fishable, if not give it a skip.

Here are a 4 decent spots, check them out:
    Smilin Thru
    Otters Haunts
    Hadida Creak
    Eagle Nest
    being the fanatic I am I have fished up to 80 cubes my summary as follows:
    80+ forget it unless you know of a specific venue where it's very wide with several channels, I have managed to catch in 80 cubes but it's hard work and you need the local knowledge.
    60 cubes in shallow areas ie: arends, woelwater it's still tough and I only go where I know it's shallow from previous experience and I think to dangerous for a novice or if it's the first time you visit a venue
    30-40 cubes I find great but flies need to be heavily weighted with splitshot - again only specific venues fishable
    20-30 I prefer to less than 20 and is my ideal volume, fish are less spooky and I have mostly had great days out fishing this volume of water.
    Having said all this I must still caution anyone to go out over 25+!! I have a deathwish... and would rather risk my life than push my pencil at the office and wonder what it's like out there at my favorite venues....

one more thing... I always take the following numbers along with me, just in case ....:

Emergency:
    Ambulance Parys: 056 811 5834
    Ambulance Vanderbijl: 016 931 1111
    Police Barage: 016 987 1811
    Police Vanderbijl: 016 933 2051
    Police Parys: 056 811 3323
    Rescue: 011 928 6454

as well as medical aid card etc etc.

I am still looking for the emergency number for the national sea rescue institute for those days I fish at 80 cubes!!!! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Deon TerBlanche View Post
    I am still looking for the emergency number for the national sea rescue institute for those days I fish at 80 cubes!!!! :-)
    I actually have it some where, but in eighty tons, you will probably be found by the police divers, and phoning them while you’re on the water will be a waist of time.

I have been fishing it for many years now, as you can see by my Avatar, and have become wiser as the years have gone by, when I was younger, we were fishing Eendukuil (sp) and had some really good fishing, as we crossed the third run, the water was up to our knees. On the way back it was over my waist, when we got out of the first run, it was up another 12 inches, which only took a minute to go up. Only when we got home and made a couple of calls did we find out, they had let out 200 tons for a canoe race.

This happened to be on a Thursday, and I haven’t heard of them doing it on the weekends. I can tell you that as we discussed it on another outing and here are my tips:
    1. If you see lots of Hyacinth, suddenly come down stream, be alert.
    2. Pick a point in the water and watch the water level on it.
    3. Don’t, try get to the side where you got in, just get out of the river, you don’t know how fast the water will rise.
    4. If you are in complete trouble, sit down into the water, bend your knees, and don’t try and stand up till you are in calmer water. Keep you head up and keep your cool.
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Oh. I forgot, nice couple of posts, keep it up.
    Mike McKeown

Quote Originally Posted by Deon TerBlanche View Post
    one more thing... I always take the following numbers along with me, just in case ....:

Emergency:
    Ambulance Parys: 056 811 5834
    Ambulance Vanderbijl: 016 931 1111
    Police Barage: 016 987 1811
    Police Vanderbijl: 016 933 2051
    Police Parys: 056 811 3323
    Rescue: 011 928 6454

as well as medical aid card etc etc.

Thanks Deon, these are really helpful! I do the same when I'm in the mountains! Never really thought about the Vaal being dangerous. I have a healthy respect for the water but you can never be too cautious!!

Recently had a friend land herslef in ICU for 2 weeks due to (in my opinion) complacency. Which is the real killer if you think about most situations gone wrong. Thank the fishing ***s she's gonna be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    I actually have it some where, but in eighty tons, you will probably be found by the police divers, and phoning them while you’re on the water will be a waist of time.

I have been fishing it for many years now, as you can see by my Avatar, and have become wiser as the years have gone by, when I was younger, we were fishing Eendukuil (sp) and had some really good fishing, as we crossed the third run, the water was up to our knees. On the way back it was over my waist, when we got out of the first run, it was up another 12 inches, which only took a minute to go up. Only when we got home and made a couple of calls did we find out, they had let out 200 tons for a canoe race.

This happened to be on a Thursday, and I haven’t heard of them doing it on the weekends. I can tell you that as we discussed it on another outing and here are my tips:
    1. If you see lots of Hyacinth, suddenly come down stream, be alert.
    2. Pick a point in the water and watch the water level on it.
    3. Don’t, try get to the side where you got in, just get out of the river, you don’t know how fast the water will rise.
    4. If you are in complete trouble, sit down into the water, bend your knees, and don’t try and stand up till you are in calmer water. Keep you head up and keep your cool.
    Max, these are excellent points too! Too often I find myself concentrating on the fishing and neglect the changes in the water around me.

But I must say I have noticed the rise in water with the increase of Hyacinth. But will definitely tell my newbie friend the points you've just made. Fortunately he's a really good Kayaker so he can Eskimo Roll out of anything………including his fly vest! But that’s another story!

I believe that the fishing is pretty good below some of the larger dams in the US; Hoover Dam has a siren before they let out vast amounts of water. You can also get fly vests that has buoyancy bladder built into it, you pull the cord and it is filled with CO2 from those little soda bombs…

If you feel that insecure, get yourself one of those…
    Mike McKeown

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12