Thread: inhaca/maputo

Default inhaca/maputo

hi.im going to maputo over next weekend and while there have booked a ferry to inhaca island.i will be trying saltfly for the very first time and would really appreciate some advice.i have a 9wt rod and steady sink line at 6' a sec.please help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gawie View Post
    hi.im going to maputo over next weekend and while there have booked a ferry to inhaca island.i will be trying saltfly for the very first time and would really appreciate some advice.i have a 9wt rod and steady sink line at 6' a sec.please help!!!
    I haven't stayed on the Island itself but on Santa Maria which is on the mainland directly opposite the Island.The mainland comes within a couple of hundred metres from the island where a deep channel is formed(Hell's Gate) through which the tide empties and comes in at a helluva rate of knots.

You will be able to target most species, such as various kingies,with basic saltwater flies - your clousers,deceivers,salty buggers(for wave garrick and stone bream).I don't know where you are staying but the end of island opposite Santa Maria was quite good with kingies and lots of garfish on offer(we got a boat ride over from Santa).I have heard that the lighthouse area on the Island is also quite a good spot.These places may be a long walk depending where you are staying - dunno if you have access to a boat over there - always good if you can get a "lift" to some of the remote spots.

Hi there Gawie

Advice for anybody new to saltwater in Moz, without a guide and not much of an idea on what to expect:

1.Taka a 9wt rod, fast sink line and reel that can hold about 150 metres of backing. Add a stripping basket and some 20 lbs leader material.
    2.Speak to the locals - there is a fishing operation on Inhaca. Beach fishing is very limited and the better areas are a long walk away, but you do get Skippies and smallish kingies of the beach at Santa Maria.
    3.Buy three chartreuse clousers in #2 and three in #3/0 for every day that you expect to fish.
    4.Walk down the beach - look for any turbulant water or areas of reasonable current, if you can find this with deep water within close proximity it is even better - cast the bigger Clouser as far as you can and strip it back as fast as you can. If the bigger fly does not work, then repeat with the smaller fly, but slow down the retrieve.
    5.Cover all likely looking areas in this manner.

Gawie, that is really as basic as it gets, but it will always produce something.

Enjoy the trip.
    MC

Default inhaca/maputo

hi guys
    thanks so much for the speedy replies!!
    i am only going over to inhaca from maputo for a day trip but will be based in maputo for 3 days.so ill speak to the fishing operation when i get to inhaca about getting to santa maria and also to try at the end opposite santa maria maria!!??
    will i be ok in wading boots or do i need booties?
    forgive all the dof questions,but really want to get this right.

Quote Originally Posted by gawie View Post
    hi guys
    thanks so much for the speedy replies!!
    i am only going over to inhaca from maputo for a day trip but will be based in maputo for 3 days.so ill speak to the fishing operation when i get to inhaca about getting to santa maria and also to try at the end opposite santa maria maria!!??
    will i be ok in wading boots or do i need booties?
    forgive all the dof questions,but really want to get this right.
    Hi Gawie

I would stick to wading boots as you can encounter some really sharp rocks over there.Booties don't offer enough protection.

Default Inhaca Island

Thank You Gawie For Initial Thread And Start Up.

I Am Trying To Go To Inhaca In December 07 To Camp At Ponde Tores(sp) And Would Like Any Info Regarding Fly Fishing And Best Spots Etc.perhaps You Can Comment On Your Experiences.thanks.charles Thomas

Hi, my 2c worth!

To comment on the advice from the others:

1. If your fishing shore based a 6 'a sec sink line will be more than fine, but off shore some reefs are 30m + deep and that wont cut it, current drifts your line fast, I would advise lead core line unless you weight it with shooting heads or something, but again only if your planning any boat trips!
    2. Stripping basket is advisable.
    3. Wading boots too if your plan on wading over the reefs at low tide as Arthur said. I didn't...Ouch!!
    4. Clousers, poppers, crazy charlies always work well!
    6. Expect to add a multitude to your species list!

Mozambique is alot of fun on the fly, so enjoy! I am also heading up there in December, I will just better prepared this year!