Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Latex Sheet

Wiets Banned User

Default Latex Sheet

Does anybody know where I can obtain some more Latex in sheet form - thickness between 0.5 to 1.2 mm. I had a small sample piece which was given to me by a company who's contact details I have lost and it's now all used up. The Latex is great for making crab patterns - see below.

Those are mean crab patterns mate. Do you have any tying instructions? Although they do look a bit out of my league to me.

Cheers,
    Jeroen

Tying details or the link would be appreciated!
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Wiets, if i can remember correctly latex is used a lot in the medical fraternity,
    tubes, dummies, etc. i know you looking for sheets, so all i'm saying is maybe to refresh your source, it might have been from the medical field?
    cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Wiets, have you thought of pouring liquid latex over waxed sheet or a flat piece of sheet metal spayed with Spray and Cook or some other suitable release agent? It should take too long to dry. Just a thought.
    If everybody is thinking alike, nobody's thinking - George Patton

Hi there

These patterns look like Carl Richards' latex creations.

He makes the claws etc, by pouring liquid latex into a pre made mould.

You can buy the liquid latex from craft stores. I think it is marketed as liquid rubber and is very easy to work with.

See more of his patterns and tying instructions in Bob Verveka's book, Innovative Saltwater Flies.

Cheers
    MC

Wiets Banned User

Thanks for the advice!

I do not know of any tying instructions but I do have a number of images I
    can post. Apparently the flytyer is somewhere in China/Hong Kong or there
    about. I have used up the piece of Latex I had trying to tie these flies - it's
    quite tricky and mine is not nearly as nice.

Added:
    OK - I have now found the info I was looking for. The flies were tied by
    Hiromi Kuboki and there was a published article about him and his flies;
    The Amazing flats flies of Hiromi Kuboki, Saltwater Flyfishing Magazine Feb/March 1997

Thanks MC - I'll check on Carl Richards.
    Last edited by Wiets; 06-08-07 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    He makes the claws etc, by pouring liquid latex into a pre made mould.
    Sjo, where do you draw the line between fly tying, and lure making? I'm not trying to be funny, it's a honest question. Making preformed parts, and then just sticking them together (for me) does not equate tying. Then again, I fish for trout only, and have never needed to do things like crabs & squids etc.

Where would one draw the line, or is there no line??
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

MCC you are quite correct. I must say that I have seen a similar crab pattern like this. You draw the legs down on wax paper and pour the latex out. Texture and detail are achieved by continuous applications of latex.

If you looking for great crab bodies see Enrico Puglisi crab body
    http://www.sportfish.co.uk/product/33803
    /Enrico_Puglisi_Crab_Body_Flytying_Material.html

Or get his book Prey by Carl Richards http://www.amazon.com/Prey-Designing...6390780&sr=1-5
    Be the change that you want to see

FLYWATERS

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuide.co.za View Post
    Sjo, where do you draw the line between fly tying, and lure making? I'm not trying to be funny, it's a honest question. Making preformed parts, and then just sticking them together (for me) does not equate tying. Then again, I fish for trout only, and have never needed to do things like crabs & squids etc.

Where would one draw the line, or is there no line??
    I hear you but then I ask the question. Do you want to evolve the art of fly tying or stay traditional and stagnent?.....only asking.

There is nothing wrong with binding new materials on a hook to make a pattern look realistic, you are still tying.
    Be the change that you want to see

FLYWATERS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.