Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flyfishing Bali

Default Flyfishing Bali

Hi All

I would like to know if anyone has any info on flyfishing in Bali?
    I am going there at the end of August and would like to take my gear with to catch some saltys.
    Any info or internet links would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks all

Hey Noel,
    Do yourself a favor and visit Gili Trawangan, Meno and Air. It will cost you R20 for the 6 hour ferry ride over to Lombok and then ask one of the local fishermen either to take you around for the day or drop you off. There are boats going from Lombok to Trawangan all the time and a few rand will get you a ride. If you have time definitely stay there for a couple of nights, It is a very special place. Another thing you should definitely do, if you haven't done it already is get a scuba licence. The sheer number and diversity of fish you will see will blow your mind!!!
    The fishing shouldn't be to hard if you are prepared. The fish aren't too big but there are lots of them. I remember just swimming in front of the beach at Trawangan (There is a gentle graded slope and then a huge drop off in between Trawangan and Meno) and seeing a shoal of about 20 small permit and a few minutes later seeing a shoal of about 40 kingies!! Not to mention the numerous triggers and other reef fish that will gladly take a fly.
    Next time I go I'll take a 6# with an intermediate and a floating line for shore casting and a 9# with fast sink and floating lines for the boats. There are charters from Bali who will take you out chasing bigger game and will also take you to the outer reefs. Some good fish came of the reefs but we weren't there for long. We chased some bonnies but they were swimming way to fast. It was quite spectacular watching them leap out of the water in pursuit of the flying fish!
    On Lombok there is a place called Sengigi Beach Hotel and there is a perfect spot for wading on low tide right in front of the swimming pool. Saw some good fish there, half of them I couldn't pronounce the names. (At the dive center they have a book which you can find out all the names).
    With regard to flies, the usual small clousers, poppers (for the garfish) flashy profiles (all in sizes #2 and smaller), clear shrimp patterns and crab pattern are killers as well.
    I'll add some more as I remember it..
    But in the mean time don't hesitate with questions.

There are some great things to see and great resturants to visit. Lemme know if you want details.
    Last edited by FishWhisperer; 08-08-07 at 12:22 PM.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Noel,e-mail Korrie Broos - korrie@caneworld.co.za.

He has done a bit of fly fishing there and has some good info for you.I have already informed him that you seek info and he said he will be only too glad to assist.

Default Bali

I will also be roaming the islands for the first three weeks of September. You will probably spot me as the ouk with the back pack dribbling next to his wife at the market places with his smuggler rods sticking out like a soar thumb, just waiting for a moment to dash out to the water.
    I also heard that the best thing to do is to rent a local fisher and his boat for the day. Apparently not to expensive

Don’t forget about the freshwater opportunities either, apparently there is monsters in the rivers to.

Cheers
    Pieter

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    I will also be roaming the islands for the first three weeks of September. You will probably spot me as the ouk with the back pack dribbling next to his wife at the market places with his smuggler rods sticking out like a soar thumb, just waiting for a moment to dash out to the water.
    I also heard that the best thing to do is to rent a local fisher and his boat for the day. Apparently not to expensive

Don’t forget about the freshwater opportunities either, apparently there is monsters in the rivers to.

Cheers
    Pieter
    The locals are more than happy to take you out for the day and It can be really cheap!! Just depends on your negotiational skills. We worked out that they will generally take a third of their asking price if you act disinterested enough! Just remember those boats are thin and awkward to fish out of so take a stripping basket.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,

Lets make this really easy for you guys, pack me in your bag and I'll guide you around for a few weeks! I'll even pay for my own food and drinks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    Oh and remember that the locals are dirt poor and the fish (especially inland as they are easier to catch) are a major food source, so unless you are willing to get away from the major touristy places you'll be limited to small fish in small numbers. As you arrive in Lombok Airport (If you go there) you'll see one of many ponds filled to the brim with LARGE Plecostomus (sp?) and Kurper!! At Kuta Beach Hotel there are these ponds in the middle of all the corridors ... FULL... was so tempted to throw a dry! You could throw a stone and all the fish would rush over in this huge feeding frenzy and froth up the water, CRAZY!! )
    But I don't wanna get you too exited about the fishing.. don't think of it as Cosmoledo think of it more like Durban with better diversity and numbers(unless you are willing to travel).

Thanks guys 4 all the info, I must say i am getting very keen to fish there as it sounds awesome from what you have said!!
    I was actually thinking if it was even worth taking my gear with - but hell I am defenatly takin it along now
    FishWhisperer - I will be staying at Club med bali ( with my wife) at Nusa Dua beach, so I wont be able to stay over at Trawangan but I would defenatly like to go for a day trip there as it sounds great, you must have had a splendid time over there.
    Hiring a boat sounds like a good deal and I will give that a try - will also do some snorkelling.
    Arthur thanks 4 the link to korrie@caneworld.co.za I will mail him for some tips and advice.
    Pieter I hope you have an excellent trip and maybe we will see each other there.
    Thanks again to all of you for the tips and advice, I thinks it great that this site has such a lot of excellent people who are always willing to offer good info and advice to promote the sport of flyfishing

Thanks for the info, look forward to taking a trip there sometime soon.

Alan

Me off fishing - typical Balinese outrigger boat

I caught NOTHING at all!! .. but did have quite a nice dive on the coral reef.

This is a "floating Island" made from palm fronds etc.. they tow them out for about 15 miles .... game fish congregate under them. It is possible to get one of the locals to take you out ... but a bit like shooting fish in a barrel I think!! ... Apparently it is popular with Japanese who go catch Tuna under these things. Wierd!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast