Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tugela Mouth on Fly?

Default Tugela Mouth on Fly?

Has anybody ever tried Tugela mouth and surrounding surf with a fly rod. Is it really as bad as everyone say ?

Am going there end of August, and wondered if it is worthwile to make much fly effort or stick to conventional?

I reasoned that it is dry season so the river should not fowl the mouth and surrounds to much giving me a shot with a fly .

Only advice I got is to use dark flies...

Hanno, I have flyfished there on a few occasions but without any real success. The mouth is often wide and shallow, in which case your only option is to fish off of the rocks to the south of the mouth (and any other rocks you may find). I only ever saw small shad and kingies come out on fly. There should be 3 spot Pompano aswell, but I never realy tried for them.

If the mouth has deep holes in it then you should fish these. The rock and surf guys do get kob from the river mouth and the surf either side of it, so they are there. No reason why they should not take a fly.

Hi Hanno,
    It's winter now and the sea generally fishes worse...eish. Tugela's looking ok, i drove over it yesterday on the N2 but remember there has been a bit of rain inland.

My advice, if you're going there anyway, throw a line, you have nothing to lose and you might be surprised!

Regards

Paul

Thanks for the replies guys. I will give it a shot.

Just watch out for the Zambesi's, they swim up the river for quite a way.

Hi All,

On Saturday I am going down to Tugela Mouth for 8 days and this will be my first saltwater fly excursion having only got into fly fishing a couple of months ago.

I know the R&S guys are having a lot of success in this area and although I will be taking other tackle along I would really like to catch on fly as a preference. Last weekend there were some Garrick on the North Bank of the Estuary as well as a few Kob.

Do you have any tips other than the above on what sort of retrieves work best in Estuary/Surf environments and so on.

Unfortunately budget is limited atm so I am going with a Stealth Travel 9wt and a Stealth GT 7/9 with Fortly Plus 7ips sinking line, intermediate and floating will have to wait a while. I have a range of clousers, poppers and deceivers to try.

Fishing Adventures Banned User

What works well there is czech nymphing where you fish with 3 flies, in the middle is a weighted fly with tungsten beads, and your fishing flies on the point like a small crazy charlie or salty bugger and on the dropper a deceiver all about 400mm apart. You get the current from the incoming or out going tide to move your flies and you get the best of both, 1 fly on the bottom and one further up.

Thanks for the reply, on my way to research czech nymphing a bit more

Unfortunately up in Jhb but travel countrywide

Quote Originally Posted by Hanno View Post
    Has anybody ever tried Tugela mouth and surrounding surf with a fly rod. Is it really as bad as everyone say ?

Am going there end of August, and wondered if it is worthwile to make much fly effort or stick to conventional?

I reasoned that it is dry season so the river should not fowl the mouth and surrounds to much giving me a shot with a fly .

Only advice I got is to use dark flies...

Hello Hanno...

The short answer is that you must take a rod along. Have fished there with some success a long time ago, but know poeple who still do frequently.

The Garrick were wild at Barracuda Rocks (south of mouth) last week and this actions normally sticks around for a couple months. Seola which is about 3kms south of the mouth has also been fishing reasonaly well, but the hectic action was at Barracuda rocks.

Tight lines.

Regards
    Sudesh

Fishing Adventures Banned User

Hey Sudesh,

How are you doing, long time no speak.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast