Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tugela Mouth on Fly?

This has always been an area I was keen to fish. Looks so good when you go over the bridge.

Tugela North Bank
    We went to north Bank just to take the day off. The bait fishing was mediocre. 1 nice kob was caught on bait in the first bay of the mouth on bait. About 4 kg. I didnít fly fish there on that day, but I walked from the mouth to the car park and discovered that the structure currently is juicy to try the fly. Saw a little chase amongst the rocks, probably a shad chasing baitfish. The structure is just awesome. North Bank has a public car park which has a 24 hour guard and since the guard has been there vehicles in the parking lot have been safe. The track record of Tugela is a river being tapped for water from the source all the way to few kilometres before the mouth. This harvesting of water on such a large scale definitely has reduced the river from serving as a nursery and during lean winters the mouth sometimes closes up. In addition to that effluent discharge is happening in the river legally and illegally. Being that as it may, you still do get good seasonal fish that I reckon can be pursued. The current structure is the deal maker.
    To those who know the Kzn north coast surf, well itís bare knuckle fighting, the environmental state ainít the best, and the coastline makes you a man. Wind, waves rocks access, security and everything else half of which you havenít Thought off are out there. But such is the sport that nothing can come between you and your water.
    This particular season the sand on the north bank has been dug up fully exposing the reef between the car park and the mouth. This reef structure at the moment is very conducive to fly fishing. The rocks spread over a distance of about 1 km and great potential exists for any salty to go and try and look for some fish off the rocks and directly off the surf in the bays that form between the rocks. This really is not very difficult fishing and with luck on your side you can catch kob, Garrick, shad, Springer and kingfish.

Hi there
    Was back at Tugela, north bank. Got a nice shad. Saw a good chase. Garrick chasing a mullet. The zone is an ambush area and you just got to keep at it and if you got your fly in the right place at the right moment you will hook into a prize fish.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12