Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Help wanted in eradicating Trout on the Upper Berg

Default Help wanted in eradicating Trout on the Upper Berg

Good morning everybody

I have seen some ridiculous business proposals, but this one takes the cake.

I include a message from Dewdale, wherein they ask for our assistance as flyfishers.

"Fishing The Upper Berg River Catchment

Dewdale Fly Fishing has obtained the exclusive Fly Fishing Rights to the
    upper Berg River catchment!

These upper Berg River Beats were closed for the last 2 years, but are now once again open to you. However, the upper catchment is now for the very first time, also open for fishing.

In all effort to help with the conservation of the native and critically endangered Berg River Red Fin, fishermen will only be allowed to practice Catch & Take.
    No trout are allowed to be released into the River.

The upper Berg catchment is only 50 mins drive from Cape Town and a home to majestic mountains, critical clear streams and has a large population of wild Trout, Small mouth Bass & Berg River Witvis.

Fishing on this stretch of the River can only be done by booking through Dewdale. Fishermen will need to be accompanied by a Dewdale guide.

Booking is essential, limited space only.
    For more information, contact Dewdale Fly Fishing: Maxie or Honest on 021 876 2755. Or Info@dewdale.com"

Your thoughts please.

Cheers
    MC

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Good morning everybody

I include a message from Dewdale, wherein they ask for our assistance as flyfishers.

These upper Berg River Beats were closed for the last 2 years, but are now once again open to you. However, the upper catchment is now for the very first time, also open for fishing.

In all effort to help with the conservation of the native and critically endangered Berg River Red Fin, fishermen will only be allowed to practice Catch & Take.

The upper Berg catchment is only 50 mins drive from Cape Town and a home to majestic mountains, critical clear streams and has a large population of wild Trout, Small mouth Bass & Berg River Witvis.

Fishing on this stretch of the River can only be done by booking through Dewdale. Fishermen will need to be accompanied by a Dewdale guide.

For more information, contact Dewdale Fly Fishing: Maxie or Honest on 021 876 2755. Or Info@dewdale.com"

Your thoughts please.

Cheers
    MC
    Well, I would personally never ever go and fish there, or release all the trout I catch (if I do manage to catch) anyway!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Good morning everybody

Your thoughts please.

Cheers
    MC
    What a crock of crap! I spoke to Dean Impson recently about the Upper Berg and his comments were that the new dam had the potentual to become a trophy trout fishery of note. Not once did he mention that trout were to be eradicated. This does not sound like a CNC initiative to me........but more Dewdale trying to appeal to a large diversity of fishermen for personal gain. I am trying to get hold of Dean as we speak. Will give you feedback as soon as I've chatted to him.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Yes, I agree that this is a load of crap.

Personally I do not enjoy the small stillwater scene also offered by Dewdale, but I will certainly never fish at any of their venues again, nor promote it in any way.

MC

Hi MC,

Couple of points:

1. The Berg River runs into the Berg River dam - do they plan on having anything stopping upstream migration of barbel and carp ? The dam already has large numbers of large barbel and carp.

2. What about the water from Theewaters - continual introduction of alien species like barbel which I would think are a greater threat to redfins and witvis ?

3. My limited non-expert observation in a couple of our other streams shows redfins and rainbows living quite happily together in the same water.

4. No mention of removing any SM bass caught or is this a given ?

Thanks,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Why with a guide ? Why eradicate ?

Seems someones wanting nice financial gain out of this sorry to say.

NOT IMPRESSED

Darryl

I have no further information at the mement.

The problem is that they have now gained access to the upper reaches as well. This portion has always been off limits to us, but now we are allowed to go and kill up there.

The bad water quality, coming in from Theewaters will not affect this portion of river and I believe that the Barbel, Carp etc will find it tough going up there.

The day ticket price mentioned was R 200.00 per day. But do not forget that for this price you also get a guide and a couple of Trout for the pan.

The guide aspect is a good initiative as far as community involvement and upliftment is concerned, but by killing all the fish, this simply becomes a non-sustainable project.

Cheers
    MC

Yes, I agree that this is a load of crap.

Personally I do not enjoy the small stillwater scene also offered by Dewdale, but I will certainly never fish at any of their venues again, nor promote it in any way.

MC
    I agree. Reading between the lines, the only reason they would want all trout killed is to cash in on the fish that are caught. They have made a business out of skrewing trout fishermen, and will continue to do so. Even if we were to eradicate the trout in the Upper Berg through angling pressure, i bet they would privately re stock it again, to keep the suckers amongst us coming. What really annoys me is them trying to come across all conservation minded now........it is absolute bull..... Geez, I need to swear so badly now.....I think I'll run outside and let it out quickly!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

I seriously doubt if they will get many takers amongst the Cape flyfishing fraternity. I think this is aimed more at tourists.

Poach it guys........seriously....poach it! F them!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    I seriously doubt if they will get many takers amongst the Cape flyfishing fraternity. I think this is aimed more at tourists.

Poach it guys........seriously....poach it! F them!
    Ja this is not good. What is the fishable distance of river between the new Berg river dam, and the Theewaterskloof outlet anyway. I have fished the Berg river from Dewdale up to the pipeline outlet, as upstream from this was always a witvis conservation area I was led to believe. If Dewdale were so strict on applying the no fish zone back then, what on earth are they thinking now?
    Are they telling us that there are no more witvis there?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast