Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buy or tie?

Default buy or tie?

can someone help please? what are the advantages of tying your own flies as opposed to buying them in the shops? is it cheaper? thanks troutgirl

Hi Troutgirl.

In my opinion it is not cheaper to tie your own flies but there is added satisfaction from catching a fish on a fly you have tied yourself.

When tying your own flies you can also tie whatever you want so you are not limited to what a store has available.

It's also a fantastic hobby to get you through the times when you cannot fish.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

It can prove to be quite expensive to kit yourself out with the materials you will need, even the basics, as well as the tools and other bits and bobs.

Once you've got what you need, I would say that your cost per fly is quite a lot cheaper.

The cool thing is that you can create your own patterns, modify other established patterns, control the amount of weight you tie into your flies etc.

Its really another hobby on its own and not to mention its a very gratifying experience to catch a decent fish on something you tied yourself.

Just to add, if you try to buy all the basic materials you would need for say, 10-20 different patterns, you will find it quickly adds up.

If its something you're keen to try out, I would suggest speaking to a tackle shop and getting a basic set of tying tools and a vice. Then buy just the materials needed to say, tie up a Woolly Bugger, maybe in 2 or 3 different colours, and then learn how to tie that specific fly. Then, as you want to learn new patterns, you buy the required materials, and before you know it, you end up like me with all 6 drawers of my tying desk full of stuff !!!

thanks gkieser! another dumb question, how do you know what fly to tie on? troutgirl

Quote Originally Posted by TroutGirl View Post
    can someone help please? what are the advantages of tying your own flies as opposed to buying them in the shops? is it cheaper? thanks troutgirl
    Hi Trout Girl,

I have a room full of flytying material to prove that buying flies would be the cheaper option As the others have said, by tying yourself you get what you want. Both bought or self-tied will catch fish.

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by TroutGirl View Post
    thanks gkieser! another dumb question, how do you know what fly to tie on? troutgirl
    There is never a dumb question, only stupid answers. When I started out which was not that long ago I faced the same dilemma. I found a lot of the answers by reading : catch reports, articles, forum submissions, in fact anything that I could get my hands on.
    Then there are the experienced guys who will always lend a hand, but they would need to know which species of fish you would be targeting.
    Keep on asking, I assure you the answers will come

(Another ha'pennys worth)
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm....Which fly to use....

Hi!
    A wise man once told me, when in doubt use a Black Woolly Bugger with various retrieves. It's worked for me
    He also said "Most flies found in flyshops are designed to catch flyfishers".
    Last edited by BuzzLiteBeer; 04-11-06 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzLiteBeer View Post
    Hi!
    A wise man once told me, when in doubt use a Black Woolly Bugger with various retrieves. It's worked for me
    He also said "Most flies found in flyshops are designed to catch flyfishers".
    I've still got at least 500 fly’s that store owner's recommended and about 600 that looked cool !!! ,But yes in still water the Woolly Bugger is one of the best still water fly's around I don’t fish it much anymore but it still works all over the world !

I believe that there are probably only 2 main reasons for tying your own fly’s.

1. You fish often enough to warrant a cost saving. I have about R1500’s worth of tying materials, they cover almost anything I need to tie and I know I can spin most of what is needed. I also own a decent vice, R1400, and about R300 of tying equipment. I am only now getting back to a better price than the shop bought fly’s.

2. You are confident that you can imitate the insects you find in the waters you fish, better than the shop bought fly’s, therefore increasing your catch percentages. A good example is the ZAK, I cannot find a shop bought ZAK that is tied as it should be, and therefore is not a good imitation of a Mayfly nymph.

The other reasons include:
    1. The enjoyment of tying flies.
    2. The enjoyment of catching fish on your own flies.
    3. The ability to weight your fly’s to your needs.
    4. Allows you to travel without worrying about the amount of fly’s you have.
    5. The ability to match the hatch effectively, I proved this on a trip to Lupela, when there was a hatch of stone fly’s on day one, so I spun a bunch of them that night, and the next day or two, as they came to lay, I was prepared.

There are more, and other people have their own reasons, so let’s hear them…
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast