Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Tuna in Cape Town

Howdy Nepps, welcome back boet.

I've also heard some stories of guys who were pulled overboard(ie when the reel jams) when fighting tunny or is this just legend?

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Howdy Nepps, welcome back boet.

I've also heard some stories of guys who were pulled overboard(ie when the reel jams) when fighting tunny or is this just legend?
    Arthur

Thanks boet, its almost good to be home!

Not just legend mate, I mate of mine, who was a Natal Ski Boat and Springbok junior all through school, and who LOVES to fish, did a stint on a commercial tuna boat last season, and he got pulled over... Luckily his harness was attahced to a safety line, and he was a smart enough angler and waterman to push the lever drag back to release the drag. Bear in mind alot of these commercial okes fish 130 pound line, with drags set to 20 or 30 pounds, more even.... thats ALOT of pressure!!! Makes getting pulled over a pretty easy thing, especially in the conditions found out there at times.
    Add that to the bloodsport feeling of commercial fishing, and he quit fishing completely..hasn't picked up a rod since... I must say, I have enjoyed my trips out there, and battling these amazing creatures, and even more now that I have managed to convince my skipper to start letting me release fish after putting a couple on the boat... its a challenge and a rush catching big tuna on big seas in a small boat... but it is a blood sport, and not the kind of fishing I would choose to do given the preference... I will not say no to a trip out there, but I only get out there 3 or 4 times a year... not something I could do every weekend...
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Just some additional thoughts:
    Fish October and November for small yellows and large longfins. March - June for the big yellows
    Start with longfin on fly first. They can be taken on a 9wt and upwards.
    If you intend to release them, use a 12wt.
    Stay away from the full moon period, the fish feed at night and stay deeper during the day,
    Do not go out with a NE,NW or Northerly wind forecast.
    Best is a 20km or less SW.
    Troll for longfin the minute you hit the temperature break, you can also get small yellowfin here.
    For yellowfin run to the western edge of the canyon.
    Book out for the day with Penguin (Cape Point) or Slangkop or NSRI.
    If it blows up - come back.
    Use the radar in fog - those container ships are fast and blind.
    You will often run through the current line first and it will get rough. Just watch the temp gauge and only cosider turning back if it is still rough at 19 degrees. It is often calm once you are through the current.
    For yellowfin on fly, custom 18 wt, strong bluewater fly line and 700m of 80lb braid on a reel with the best drag you can afford.
    Do not intrude in someone elses chum line, stay parallel or fish well away.
    In mid season have a look around the Bellows / Rocky Bank area if the temp is right.
    Finally, come to one of the clubs (Simonstown, Hout Bay, Gordons Bay) for a drink and ask questions - most guys are happy to share information.
    Conversation is the forerunner to conservation.

Tuna in Cape Town - I thought this is a thread on picking up chicks in the Mother City - Tune haar :-0 lol

Wiets Banned User

Thank you very much for all the above information!
    It is very useful!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.