Thread: Barbel Rod

Question Barbel Rod

I am looking for a suitable rod for Barbel and occasional estuary fishing, possibly around 8wt. The SWAMBO will also be getting one, so I don't want to go heavier than need be.

Must also not be in the megabucks price range.

Can you guys give me some suggestions regarding what to avoid and what you have found to be relly good.
    "Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers" - Voltaire 1694 - 1778

A practical rod I found is the Explorer Classis 2 8/9 weight 9ft (3 Piece) and their XPLA reel. It has taken many barbel this year on Mrs. Simpsons and half chickens. Also did stirling work with Tigers up North, and managed to land a few carp. You can pick them up (Rod, Reel, Line (Rio intermediate), Backing, Braided Loop, and leader) for around R1400.00. The only drawback is that it is quite a heavy outfit, and does make all-day casting a hassle, but fell in love with it when I took a barbel of 6kg on his very first cast. Their lifetime warranty is a plus, as well as their compact packaging.

Thanks for the advice. Have you tried the Staelth Magnum Plus at all?
    "Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers" - Voltaire 1694 - 1778

Quote Originally Posted by Matuka View Post
    I am looking for a suitable rod for Barbel and occasional estuary fishing, possibly around 8wt. The SWAMBO will also be getting one, so I don't want to go heavier than need be.

Can you guys give me some suggestions regarding what to avoid and what you have found to be relly good.
    Phone Dave .. he spends his life catching barbel on fly. (These days often on a two weight!) .... you won't get better advice.
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Havn't tried the Magnum but I was pleasantly surprized by the Stealth Bomber. I believe it is a matter of budget and if you want your rod choice to have multi roles (barbel, tigers, saltwater, flats etc.) and with the large variety of brands on the market, you can't go wrong.

I would like to take my hat off to Dave, for holding his own against barble with a 2 wt. I can remember taking a fair one with a 4/5 wt and experiencing that sinking, helpless feeling we all know when they go on that first run, and you have no braking power in tight reeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Matuka View Post

I think a SEVEN weight is fine .. both for Barbel and for 99% of estuary fish.
    (I use a 7wt 10' Scott and have never found it lacking)
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Had a chat with TJB about this (Terry Babich) a while back and this is his advice.

7WT will do the job but you will find that you won’t be landing the fish over 12kg very consistently, a 8/9 WT rod will improve your chances landing the larger specimens. As allot of the fish are hooked in close quarters, a super fast action rod doesn’t work well in this situation and you may find that a med to med-fast action rod would serve you better, I like using my old Daiwa Samurai 8/9WT for this.

Please not the advice was given to improve the landing rate of barbel of BIG barbel (TJB's speciallity), doesn’t mean other tackle won’t work.

Note, if you fish for barbel allot you’re going to break rods. I’ve only ever broken two rods in my life time and both were on barbel.

Maybe something like a 8/9WT Stealth Start for a couple of hundred buck will be a good idea, the action isn’t to fast and you will still have cash left over to buy a dedicated estuary rod without worrying about breakages.

Line, go for an Airflo Truecast, it's cheap and tuff (wouldn't use it on salt though), you're going to toast a soft coating line like a Cortland 444 very quickly on the structure surrounding barbel

Give Terry a call at the Fishing Owl and I’m sure he’ll be more than willing to give you any advice regarding these beasts.
    Last edited by Gael; 11-08-07 at 10:39 PM.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen