Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Upper Berg River update

Since I'm not from that part of the world, quick question here ...

Was the Upper Berg, the part that now forms part of Dewdale and it's new policy, ever available to fish to the general public? From what I have read, I am making the assumption that is has not been accessible for quite a while, but I am not 100% sure in saying that. Could someone clarify please?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuide.co.za View Post
    Since I'm not from that part of the world, quick question here ...

Was the Upper Berg, the part that now forms part of Dewdale and it's new policy, ever available to fish to the general public? From what I have read, I am making the assumption that is has not been accessible for quite a while, but I am not 100% sure in saying that. Could someone clarify please?
    Correct! For the last two years all access was denied but prior to that, we were allowed to fish upto the wier. Above the wier has always been a restricted area.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Correct! For the last two years all access was denied but prior to that, we were allowed to fish upto the wier. Above the wier has always been a restricted area.
    Ok, so up to the weir (restricted anyway), how much water did you actually lose here?
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Ok, so up to the weir (restricted anyway), how much water did you actually lose here?
    at least 5 km!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

at least 5 km!
    That would roughly be 3 "beats". So, if you get 3 people to fish those beats (1 angler per beat) every day, for a year, then you would loose around 726 fishing days.

I suspect that you would really only count that 90% of people fish on weekends (Sat/Sun), so it would be around 27 fishing days you lose if the very quick math is correct.
    Mario Geldenhuys

This deal is an absolute crock.Apart from providing a living for "guides" from the local community I can see nothing good about this story.If CNC were so concerned about the indigenous fish in the tribs why not keep the access closed to all and try and find another way to eradicate the trout and bass from the system?

That would roughly be 3 "beats". So, if you get 3 people to fish those beats (1 angler per beat) every day, for a year, then you would loose around 726 fishing days.

I suspect that you would really only count that 90% of people fish on weekends (Sat/Sun), so it would be around 27 fishing days you lose if the very quick math is correct.
    The +/- 5km was the fishable stretch from the new dam wall to the wier. I have a suspicion that the surface area of the dam could possible reach the wier when the dam is full. There is not much elevation up to that point.

I just had a look at the Google Earth image and it looks like there is about 7km of stream above the wier.

Here's the Google Earth link
    Attachment 1142

Here's the Google Earth link
    Attachment 1142
    Thanks Chris, you know I am into my GE placemarks, is there one for Dewdale??? or where are they in comparison???

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast