Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Fly Swaps

Default Fly Swaps

Hi Guys,

I have tried this once before on another forum but it did not get interest and would not work because of the type of forum (Unable to update posts etc).

Is anyone interested in being involved in a fly swap? The general idea is that a group of tiers tie flies for each other and so you get to see how other people tie and what kind of things they are doing in their tying.

This is very popular on forums in the states and we have a load of enthusiastic tyers on this forum so I can't see how it wont be a hit here.

How it Works:
    The guy organising the swaps decides on a theme for the swap, how many people can be involved, when the deadline is and posts a forum thread about it. Any interested Tyers can then respond to the forum, stating what fly they will be tying. The states guys do it on a first come, first served basis, so the first guys to respond get to be involved in the swap.

Once all the places are taken up, the guy organising the swap will PM the participants his postal address.

The tiers then tie as many flies as there are participants in the swap (eg 10 tiers, each guy ties 10 of his selected pattern). Once the flies are complete the tier will post the flies in a non crush container to the organiser with a return envelope with pre-paid postage or whatever. A nice thing would be to include 10 copies of the Recipe and tying procedure (maybe with photos?) which can be redistributed to each participant.

The Organiser will receive all the flies and tying instructions, organise them into 10 bundles with one pattern from each tyer in each bundle and then send them back off to each tyer. he can also take photographs of the flies tied and post them on the forum thread so everyone can see the flies that were tied.

You don't have to be a good fly tier. You can be a beginner or whatever. If a guy organising a swap only wants experienced tyers then he can mention that in his thread, or even if a Beginner tyer only wants Beginners in his swap then he can state that too.

Swaps can be as open ended as saying "Tie any Fly that you catch Trout On" or as Specific as asking for "Your Favourite Flipper patterns for Leeries", Or "No Flies larger than a #20", or "Your Favourite Vaal SM Yellowfish Fly" or whatever you want.

I think there are enough enthusiastic tyers on this forum and all you have to do is tie the flies and send them to the organiser (And hope you get some back).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've always wanted to be involved in one of these things So I'll start one now and see if anyone is interested, so here's mine:

So I'll Organise a Trout River Dry Fly Swap. So basically any dry fly that you have success with on rivers for Trout, no matter what they may be. I'll start off by saying there can be 10 particpants including myself but if there is more interest then it can be increased if those 10 guys don't mind (As they will have to tie more flies). It's not limited to only SA guys so if guys like Kevin E or Gogga or any others wanna participate then they're welcome - just remember the return postage costs. I guess it'd be good to have the flies done and posted to me by 8-Dec-06 so that I can send them back so you might get them by Christmas.

I'll Tie a MSA Hopper #12.

So just reply if you are interested and i'll update the list below as we go along.

1) Grant - MSA Hopper #12
    2) Dizzy - Airhead # 12
    3) Kevin C - CDC&Elk #16
    4) ShaunF - Christmas Beetle #12/14
    5) Maximum - Seals Fur Emerger Cream #16 (Cool by me)
    6) Mario - Extended Body Mayfly (Looks awesome!)
    7) Liam - ????
    8) Darryl - Poodle RAB #12
    9) Chris - Blab (Tentative)
    10) dpammenter - Olive Elk Hair Caddis - POSTED!

Cheers
    Grant

p.s - Fish/Pierre - I suppose I should ask if it's cool to do this on your forum. Any objections?
    Last edited by gkieser; 08-01-07 at 11:29 PM.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

I'll tie an Airhead on a #12
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post

I've always wanted to be involved in one of these things So I'll start one now and see if anyone is interested, so here's mine:

So I'll Organise a Trout River Dry Fly Swap. So basically any dry fly that you have success with on rivers for Trout, no matter what they may be. I'll start off by saying there can be 10 particpants including myself but if there is more interest then it can be increased if those 10 guys don't mind (As they will have to tie more flies). It's not limited to only SA guys so if guys like Kevin E or Gogga or any others wanna participate then they're welcome - just remember the return postage costs. I guess it'd be good to have the flies done and posted to me by 8-Dec-06 so that I can send them back so you might get them by Christmas.

I'll Tie a MSA Hopper #12.

So just reply if you are interested and i'll update the list below as we go along.

1) Grant - MSA Hopper #12
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)
    7)
    8)
    9)
    10)

Cheers
    Grant

p.s - Fish/Pierre - I suppose I should ask if it's cool to do this on your forum. Any objections?
    CDC&Elk #16

Awesome! Glad to have some initial interest. I've updated your names on the list.

Hopefully there'll be a bit more to make it worthwhile.

Dizz - I'm looking forward to seeing what that Airhead looks like.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Hi Max, great idea. I'll tie my Christmas Beetle pattern. Its great on some of the stillwaters up here this time of year and I reckon it would be a great pattern for the streams too.

It will be in #12 or #14

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Hi Max,
    Sorry Shaun, I'm only posting now.

I will tie my Seals Fur Emerger, size 16 Cream

I read somewhere that you should only publish a fly once it has take over 1'000 fish, and I recon in the 10 years, it's close. It has taken all of my big SM Yels and a bunch of good trout.

Mario, what you going to tie??
    Last edited by MaXiMuM; 04-11-06 at 09:07 AM.
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

7. Default

I'm in - Extended Body Mayfly

Last edited by smallstreams.co.za; 04-11-06 at 08:40 AM.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I'll take a couple, ta...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Eish, sorry, I meant Grant !

I'll do a Twilight Beauty #14 - NZ pattern for the evening rise.

Not quite sure how to fix you up for the cost Grant - can't really send a prepaid envelope.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast