Thread: Double handed rods for saltwater

Default Double handed rods for saltwater

I’m visiting SA in December and will be adding a 14’ 9/10 double handed rod to my arsenal which has a potential casting range of 140 ft. This style of SWFF has been practiced for years the US primarily for striped bass and bluefish (giant elf) in the surf. It’s also mentioned in Lefty Kreh’s book. Has anyone every tried one out in SA?

This is the sort of thing that I'm talking about:

http://www.meiserflyrods.com/jsmith.htm
    Last edited by Flycatcher; 03-11-06 at 06:36 PM.

Gogga Banned User

Hey Flycatcher,

Where about are you in the UK? There is a guy down in the west country that fishes double handers all the time for Bass and quite successfully too, Good mate of mine BTW. (Austin Goldsmith - aka Barramundi- UK Saltwater flies ).(http://www.uksaltwaterflies.com/index.htm)

I used to fish the North Welsh coast (Barmouth area) with a double hander and nailed stacks of Bass and Mackerel on them.

Bob Meiser builds a nice rod, and switch casting is a pleasure in windy or any conditions.

I fish the CND rods that Juro pioneered on the cape (Cod) and have found them to be great especially when using a Rio Outbound line.

For South Africa - This would be a great system - However, I don't think 14foot is the ideal length for a surf double hander, sure you will have the reach -140 foot cast, but I find I struggle when getting the fish in close - that's why I prefer the 11 foot 1" Atlantis / Oceana rods from CND. http://cndspeyusa.com/

When I bring the fish in close the shorter rod length allows me to handle the situation a lot easier - Its quite difficult trying to land a decent fish on your own with a 14 foot rod in the surf.

I throw 120 foot cast all day long and when I switch back to my single handers (normally Xi2's OR S2x's) I find that the double hauling really nails me after a couple of hours.

But - I guess you will have a great time if fishing the estuary's and hunting Leeries - Hope you have a great trip.

All the Best
    Mike
    Last edited by Gogga; 03-11-06 at 08:01 PM.

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. Yip, a CND Oceana 11' 11/12 is on my Christmas wish list and if I can source one before I fly it will certainly see some action in SA this December. As for struggling to land a big fish with a 14' rod: that's a problem that I look forwards to having.

Why do you think that DH rods are not more popular in SA?

Gogga Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Flycatcher View Post
    Mike,

Why do you think that DH rods are not more popular in SA?

Hell I don't know, Fishing a double hander in the surf is like fishing in "Four wheel drive" The advantages are just unbelievable.

SA certainly has the fish to warrant using a double hander in say 8 - 12 weight class - Apart from the Leeries in the Southern areas - go North and you are into all sorts of biggies like Gt's, Queen fish, Cuda etc etc, and this is where fishing a good double hander will make your life a lot more pleasurable.

Maybe it just needs a few Salty guy's to get their hands on a few rods and they will certainly take off like they have done all over the world.

I know, when I first started casting double handers, after just a short while I was sold on the concept and have gone on to nail some great fish on them.

When searching for fish in Estuaries, or on beaches or drop-off's and I have a long day of casting ahead, I will always pick up my DH first - and you can bet that later that evening, I will be the guy standing at the pub without a sore shoulder / back

All the best
    Mike

Mike,

Let the revolution begin.

Default Rod Builders????

These rods, and the design behind it make’s perfect sense…

I live on the West coast of South Africa, and there are always strong winds, I would love a rod where I would be able to cast a good distance without hurting me in the process.

But looking on the Web pages that was given, and converting in to RAND, it is expensive, but trying it yourself or asking a local rod builder without the know how, will probably be penny whiz pound foolish…

Default Inexpensive DH fly rods

You don’t have to give your hind leg for a reasonable double handed rod that will work well in the surf with shooting heads. Any ‘European’ fast action rod between 10’6 and 15’ will do the trick. There are a number of entry level rods available on the internet from UK based online stores for less than £70 (I don’t know the current exchange rate).

A good choice for the west coast would be the Temple Fork Outfitters 12’ 12wt 4 piece that is purpose built for saltwater surf conditions. It retails at about £189.00 without VAT.

otherwise 'n boer make 'n plan.

Default Relocating

I am relocating to Gauteng - Vanderbijlpark, so I will be fishing Natal coast from now...Cape Vidal, Sodwana, and hopefully Mozambique.

Current exchange rate is R13.90 for a pound....

Default Switch rods

You may want to consider getting a 'switch rod' like the ones designed by Bob Meiser for Beulah. These are double handed rods that are so light that you cast them single-handed! They retail here in the UK for about £240.00 incl VAT. http://www.fishinglessons.co.uk/beulah_switch_rods.htm

The 10'6 8/9 would do nicely in the estuaries of Natal, while I'd still recommend the TFO 1212 for GTs, Cudda, Garrick ect in the surf or river mouths.

Regards,