Thread: Dying Deer Hair??

Question Dying Deer Hair??

Out of interest, has anyone tried dying deer hair and what was your success like.

The reason I ask is that I’m looking to try and get a light olivey yellow colour deer hair and the only stuff I can find is the bright yellow stuff (bleached white and then dyed yellow).

Was thinking of maybe taking one of these bright yellow deer hair patches and trying to dye it with some olive clothing dye.

Another idea would probably be to try and find natural deer hair that has been dyed yellow, though I have yet to see any of the local agents import this colour
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Gael View Post
    Out of interest, has anyone tried dying deer hair and what was your success like.

The reason I ask is that I’m looking to try and get a light olivey yellow colour deer hair and the only stuff I can find is the bright yellow stuff (bleached white and then dyed yellow).

Was thinking of maybe taking one of these bright yellow deer hair patches and trying to dye it with some olive clothing dye.

Another idea would probably be to try and find natural deer hair that has been dyed yellow, though I have yet to see any of the local agents import this colour
    Hi Gael,

I think Tom uses picric acid to dye Klippies a nice yellow for DDD's. Check out this article for more info: http://globalflyfisher.com/staff/verhaar/picricacid/

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Very interesting article, will definitly keep it in mind in the future.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Well, played around a little bit today.

On the left is a test patch of a piece of deer hair I dyed and on the right is the original colour.

I used Dylon coldwater dye (with fixative) in leaf green, prepared as per instruction.

The original deer hair was Hareline Body hair, Yellow over white.

May have no need to lie.
    Amen