Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which river has the larger fish, the Vaal or the Orange?

Default Which river has the larger fish, the Vaal or the Orange?

I have heard it said that the fish are generally bigger in the Vaal than in the Orange. Here is a Richtersveld Largie of 76cm. Courtesy of Ian Lourens.
    I am sure the Vaal has them this size and even bigger, but lets see them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gorgeous colouration on that fish.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

In my opinion there are monsters in both rivers. I've seen John Southey's monster largemouth he caught in the Vaal, but also some BIG boys in the Orange. Same thing with barbel...I've seen some damn ginormous barbel caught with whole chickens in the Orange, but then the same thing in the Vaal.

It is afterall called the Orange/Vaal system. Same species, same timeframes to get big, etc etc etc.

Awesome catch that though, beaut of a fish.

Ja, the same river system, though dont you think the natural barriers like Augrabies falls, and the man made ones like the dams etc, may cause the fish to evolve slightly differently in the different sections.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Ja, the same river system, though dont you think the natural barriers like Augrabies falls, and the man made ones like the dams etc, may cause the fish to evolve slightly differently in the different sections.
    I really can't say...I just go by what I have seen...and I've seen big fish out of both systems. But I think the Orange is not as heavily fished as the Vaal obviously. Maybe more chances of fooling fish there...then again I don't know if there's the same kind of fishing opportunities...like shallow water over gravel, shallower rapids, and so on. I think the pollution in the Vaal is also way more than the Orange, which can be a factor in fish populations.
    Allthough a good flood or two sorts the place out.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    That is why the YWG is sponsoring genetic studies of yellowfish.

In theory the Orange fish should be bigger, as I believe the water quality to be slightly better - no industrial/mine and sewerage discharge - similar to Vaal Triangle. The Orange does suffer more from sediment. The other factor I note is that the river does have higher flows, whether this is natural or not I do not know, I'm not aware of any studies done on the Reserve flows of the river.

I do believe if the same quantity of anglers spent the same amount of time on the Orange we would see more pictures of bigger fish.

I think angling in general has put alot of pressure on size of fish in the Vaal.
    I remember as a kid, before fly fishing came into SA,
    we used to catch huge sm, lm and muddies on bait in the Parys area.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    I remember as a kid, before fly fishing came into SA,
    When was this 1901, as the first record I can find of fly fishing in SA is 1902?? Chris S, please confirm??????

Just a question...

Mike

I think that its very much the same. but would say that the Vaal could offer a much faster growth rate than the Orange as there is more food on the Vaal.

I dont think that a true study has been done on fish size and age between the two rivers.
    Be the change that you want to see

FLYWATERS

Ja, ok, so I meant, before it "boomed". I'm talking 15 years ago. But you know what I mean.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast