Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which river has the larger fish, the Vaal or the Orange?

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfever View Post
    ... no industrial/mine and sewerage discharge ...
    But the water from the Vaal eventually ends up in the Orange, not so ?

Or do you believe that there is a 'natural' process whereby the gunk from the mines and other sources get trapped and transmogrified into a less volatile form, say inside the man-made stillwater impoundments or through natural siltation/sedimentation/depositing along the course of the river ? (AFAIK bugs don't eat mine acid/gunk/slime, unlike poop)
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Ja, ok, so I meant, before it "boomed". I'm talking 15 years ago. But you know what I mean.
    15 years ago... I think that there were much more fish on the Vaal. You just have to see the type of conservation enforced on the Vaal to understand that. For a guy to come up from Cape Town and fish and see individuals catching yellows and turning them into curried fish cakes, makes me wonder just for how long that boom will last for.

Then on the part of private water where some of us had privileges to fish... well that something of the past now. But maybe not that bad as it takes some pressure off the fish.

So I dont relay know were you stand or how long it will last for.
    Be the change that you want to see

FLYWATERS

Blog Entries

I've never fished the vaal but all I do know there are some SERIOUS fish in the orange - done a few float trips in the Onseepkans area. Flippen awesome fishing during low water levels...

Did anyone watch 50/50 last night?
    Did you see the bit about the Koepel?

I never got the whole story, but it was promised that in a years time, it will be restored to its former glory.

More info here:
    http://www.5050.co.za/inserts.asp?ID=7881
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by FIGJAM View Post
    15 years ago... I think that there were much more fish on the Vaal.
    I'm not so sure, granted I didn't fish the Vaal 15yrs ago, but you don't have to fish the Vaal for long or even for the full stretch of it's reach to know that there is definately no shortage of SmallMouth. LargeMouth is ofcourse another story.

There are millions of smaller fish showing good spawns over the last say 5-7yrs and this can be clearly illustrated by spending a day fishing a 'spawning' venue on the Vaal. Typically this water has areas suited to providing smaller fish with protection and ample sources of food.

What I think might be the case is that due to uncontrolled catch & keep fishing over the past few decades in addition to the serwerage spills the larger specimens are removed from the system & that's why we see larger numbers of smaller fish. I don't however think that there is a drastic decline in the broodstock, the sheer biomass of that river just in terms of YellowFish is a clear indication of that.

Having said all that, I do believe that ther will be less big fish and more smaller fish to be found now than 10yrs ago. You should read some of the literature of 40 - 50 yrs ago where the fishermen were already complaining about the quality of the fishing due to the decline in number of 20lb fish caught.

It would be great to know if YWG has some stats on this, at least ito fish population sizes.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Default A matter of oppinion or not?

I know for a fact that I have seen with my own eyes some magnificent specimens from the Vaal, LM, SM and Barbel, but have no photos to support.

I have not been to fish the Orange, but I guess that in both systems you should find fish of similar proportions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12