Thread: "Stiffening" marabou tails

Default "Stiffening" marabou tails

I did a little "flytying" clinic with Philip a few months ago and one of the flies we tied was a Black Wooly Bugger. When tying the tail he added a small quantity of a stiffer material to prevent the tail from wrapping 'round the hook.

Now I can't remember what it was. Anyone have a suggestion as to what I can use?

Quote Originally Posted by spig View Post
    I did a little "flytying" clinic with Philip a few months ago and one of the flies we tied was a Black Wooly Bugger. When tying the tail he added a small quantity of a stiffer material to prevent the tail from wrapping 'round the hook.

Now I can't remember what it was. Anyone have a suggestion as to what I can use?
    I generally tie in a very small amount of deer hair, colour matched to the marabou.

I use cane rat, as it balances the fly with a little buoyancy, but I only tie them on size # 12 or smaller and quite lightly weighted, with the lead on the top of the hook, so it rides up-side-down. I use stiff hackle and put the cane rat in the tail, this allows it to sit on-top of weed beds and I can target the cruisers. I also only fish it with a strike indicator.
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...