Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strike Indicators & Czech Nymphing

Question Strike Indicators & Czech Nymphing

Hi Guys, My question may have been answered before on the old site, but here goes anyway. Do strike indicators have any benefit when Czech Nymphing for yellows? My "logic" is that if you are at the correct depth, then your s.i. will actually drag the flies across the rocks resulting in more hook ups on the rocks due to the angle of the line between the s.i. and the flies being fairly acute. Hope I'm making sense
    Comments would be appreciated.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Default some times

Hi I found recently that if you get a proper idea of the waterdepth you are working in, leave the strike indicator off, and watch the rod-tip rather. Anyway, if you are using an indicator, it's not czech nymphing... What I did in low light was to tie a length of indicator yarn tightly aroung the leader using an overhand knot, and trimming the excess. this allows you to better see your leader / tippet, and this indicator you can slide up and down your rig to any height you want.
    w

Default Czech Nymphing

Hi there Herman,

As far as I am aware when czech nymphing the secret is to stay in contact with the flies and feel them bouncing of the bottom and to be able to feel the fish take the fly. It apparently is a life changing experience when you eventually pull it off and start catching the yellows using this technique. It has to be done under the right conditions for it to be effective though. I believe this technique was invented for fast currents with a lot of white water where the fly has to be bouncing off the bottom and takes detected by feel not sighting a s.i. maybe this helps???

Traditionally you don't use a strike indicator when czech nymphing, you sense the take by feel and watching your leader.

Default 10 ft leader with foam strike indicator

Any suggestions on how to loosen a foam strike indicator , if attached 10ft from the fly' during deep water czech nymphing. The usual method of attachment seems to be a short piece of tooth pick.
    The use of longer rods up to 12ft seem to be the norm now in europe, this causes interesting problems in netting the fish with the attached stike indicator

Quote Originally Posted by emerger View Post
    Any suggestions on how to loosen a foam strike indicator , if attached 10ft from the fly' during deep water czech nymphing. The usual method of attachment seems to be a short piece of tooth pick.
    The use of longer rods up to 12ft seem to be the norm now in europe, this causes interesting problems in netting the fish with the attached stike indicator
    Emerger, I don't use foam indicator but prefer the yarn indicators. In the beginning I used the "loop" method to keep the indicator in place but was frustrated by the kinks it made in my leaders. It also took too long to re-adjust the indicator every time.

So what I do now is take a small rubber band and cut it into small strips. I then tie the rubber strips onto the leader (2 or 3 knots), below the indicator and snip the loose ends off. This holds the indicator in place really well and won't slip down the leader. The added bonus is that if you have to reel the line in past your indicator the rubber band will move down (along with the indicator) when it reaches the rod tip. Thus allowing you to get that "trophy fish" in closer for netting! Hope that helps!

Another great post Mayfly, now I'm learning stuff'.

Can you post a pic of how you attach the indicator, as I have the same issues with the kinks in my leader.
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    Another great post Mayfly, now I'm learning stuff'.

Can you post a pic of how you attach the indicator, as I have the same issues with the kinks in my leader.
    Same goes for me, please do post the pics
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Will do guys , just have to borrow my girlfriend’s digital, as mine was "Redistributed to the Previously Disadvantaged"!!

I couldn’t even take a photo of my Trophy LM on Sat because of it!

There was an article I read a while ago as to how the guys fish really deep with foam strike indicators.

If I remember correctly the concept is that the Strike indicator is held in with a loop of line, and when you strike, the line pulls the toothpick out, the line straightens, and the strike indicator slides down the leader and there's no more problem of the indicator catching on the top guide. These guys were fishing 18-20 feet leaders so they needed a way to get the strike indicator further down the leader. You must go through quite a couple of toothpicks though.

For Czech nymphing with an indicator? I would guess you're keeping the indicator off the water and using it to watch your line? A good way to do that is to tie in a short length of yellow backing into the top section of your leader. Makes it very visible.
    "So heres my point. Dont go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thats dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast